« Helping each other Forum

How am I supposed to defend myself when no one likes me and no method of defending works??

Posted by Marley Marx

posted
updated

Forum: Helping each other

There are three main ways people can defend themselves from stereotypical bullies. Ignoring them, treating them with compassion, and being aggressive. Nothing works. It only makes stuff worse. 

NEUTRAL RESPONSE (INAFFECTIVE): I was in class today. Intro to Photography. Not really listening to the lecture, i could care less about how to get the “perfect point of view.” I can watch a video about it on my own time. Instead i watch a Sam and Max Save the World letsplay. Its become my new form of escapism. Theres this kid in my class whom ive started to hate. I wish i could use a softer word but it’s true. Sits up next to me. Uses a stern voice. “Bitch you’re ugly.” I don’t respond, i choose to ignore him. Not worth it. Again. “Bitch you’re ugly.” He was clearly now hoping to get a response. Silence for a minute, im still watching the letsplay. I laugh at some comment Max makes. “You look sped when you laugh at the laptop.” I stop smiling. Thats what he wanted, and so he leaves.

PASSIVE RESPONSE (INAFFECTIVE): General. I become friends with one of my classmates. He seems nice, im not sure what he is but i am a lesbian . I introduce one of my other male friends, and my friend makes a joke to me (one of an inside joke,) that i am dating a man named “Nuno,” (inside joke we have, that I’m not fond of,) and the other boy hears. Later, I lose my phone in Non-Western History. I am clearly anxious, as this brings up memories from when i was younger, much much younger, and a breakdown i had over breaking my phone resulted in CPS coming to my house. I leave to go to my previous photography classes, and when i come back without my phone, i ask if i can call again, and it turns out it was in a space that i checked numerous times; somehow. This will come back later. Next day, he steals my phone at lunch. I ask him to give it back. He won’t. I reach in his pocket for my phone, and his pockets break. I apologize but he is mad. Later at Non-Western History, it’s just me, him, and another girl on my table. The boy steals my phone again. I ask him to give it back, “Make me Bitch,” he says loudly for everyone to hear and watch. I ask why he loves doing this. The other girl breaks, “Yesterday he took your phone and hid it.” “Bitch you are so fake,” he yells at her, “and when you left, we all talked at the table, and I asked what if she starts crying, and he said ‘Well I don’t know, we’ll keep going.’” I don’t want to be friends with him anymore, I decide at that point. He starts privately messaging the other girl, and I see his notification of what he texted her, “(my name) Loves meat she is a meat gobbler.” I ask her to see the rest. He sees me typing. I type, “I’m a lesbian. I have a girlfriend.” He says, “No you aint you love men you love meat.” I type back, “Her name is Olivia (rest of name).” He says “Don’t lie to me Bitch.” He then says, “You love men admit it you’re a meat gobbler.” Followed by, “You’re flatter than a door and straighter than a pencil.” I give him some sympathy. I type, “I’m sorry.” He responds “Lmao I don’t gaf meat gobbler.” I respond back, “I really am sorry.” He responds “Okay? Who asked?”  I go back to watching Sam and Max. 

AGGRESSIVE RESPONSE (INAFFECTIVE): Linear algebra. Every Monday I come in with my bass as after i have rock band practice. This boy always asks, “Can i take a photo of your bass?” He is not sincere. He loves bullying and mocking kids who he deems in whis own mind are “Autistic.” I ignore him. I always do. One day I decide to respond, and he sarcastically says “I would love to join your band,” looking at his friend and laughing. It continues, he says “Are you guys looking for someone to join?” I realize I have a military joining pamphlet, handed to me by a Marine Man who was trying to get people to consider joining, (don’t know why he asked me, I’m not built, but they have been begging my brother to join.) I hand it to hime and say “You can always join the military, I heard they’re taking just about anyone.” Him and his friends laugh in a ridiculing sense. A girl, whom I know is friends with him, says “She thought she ate that..” (I hate that slang, the “You/She/He thought you ate that..”. Not to sound like im defending myself hard, but usually I only ever see this used by people who don’t have a response or are just stuck up to think they have a golden mouth) but instantly I do feel embarrassed of trying to speak up for myself. He says “Did you practice that in the mirror?” I don’t want to stand up for myself again.

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Roo ⚠

posted

Honestly, Marley, the best course of action is to just not feed into it. They obviously just want a response for attention. They are cruel for the sole purpose of making themselves feel better. I would hide my phone better, ignore them, and just move on. If they realize that they can't get a response from you, they'll leave you alone.

Report Reply

Reply by Marley Marx

posted

Roo, thanks, i honestly don’t wanna be a “Well actually!” Type person but ignoring them id hard especially in context of phone boy when I have 2 classes with him, and he gets mad when I move away from the table I’m at to talk to someone else for at least two seconds and I feel almost forced to “be friends with” as his friends are my friends, and it seems his other friends who I am friends with act the way he does towards me when he is around. They”ve generally been nice people, but ever since that overlap with him, I can’t tolerate any of them. If I cut them off I’d have to find new people to sit with

1) At lunch

2) History

(All the lunch tables and History tables are filled.) 

I don’t have many friends outside of that one friendgroup with him in it, all the outsider people kind of look at me the same (they don’t consider autistic people to be “normal.” Sorry to dump on you but thats another thing I should mention if anyone has advice for that. 

Report Reply

Reply by ☆゚.*CosmicOcean*.゚☆

posted

Those people are dicks. Sick in the head, really. Someone has to know how shit of a person they are and/or be a literal psycho/sociopath to treat other people like that and think that whatever excuse they make up in their mind at the end of the day makes it okay. There are no excuses for that kind of behavior towards another person. There's something wrong with them, it's their responsibility to work on that, and no one should be expected to put up with their shitty personalities

Report Reply

Reply by Marley Marx

posted

Thank u cosmic i think i really needed to hear that lol 

Report Reply

Reply by Roo ⚠

posted

Really sounds like these people don't deserve your time at all! If they're harassing you, I'd suggest telling an administrator or someone who could separate you :(

Report Reply

Reply by Marley Marx

posted

I’m planning on asking a guidance counselor if I can switch these classes but it would take until next quarter </3

Report Reply

Reply by Roo ⚠

posted

I would talk to the guidance counselor about this behavior while I was at it for sure! This is just textbook harassment :(!

Report Reply

Reply by purplecartn

posted

throw hands. das it.

Report Reply