« Back to the Dance Music Lovers Forum

Cher's single "Believe" is 25 years old

Posted by Didrick

posted
updated

Forum: Dance Music Lovers Group

I bought the single here in Norway in the fall of 1998 and absolutely loved it! Cher had mostly been known for her rock-pop songs and ballads but this time around she turned herself into a dance diva with a massive club anthem that still sounds as good today as it did 25 years ago! The CD single I bought here in Norway had the original version on it, as well as the Almighty Mix (a local radio station here would always play a shorter version of this one) and the Xenomania Mix (a radio mix that sounds amazing as well). Then in late March, early April of 1999, I discovered that the single had gotten a stateside release with no less than 10 - yes, 10 different versions on it (a website I remember discussing the single said it was "enough versions to make a whole album"), and there was this DJ website I first found it on, onthegrid.com I believe it was called, or something along those lines. It listed all the mixes and I remember being so intrigued and jealous of the American fans that would get all these remixes on their version of the single, as opposed to the Scandinavian 3 track release. Later that winter, I ordered the US Maxi single via Barnes & Noble's website (this was before I discovered Amazon lol) and when I got it in the mail, it became a unique add to my CD collection. Now it's not so unique anymore as all the remixes of the song can be found on Spotify globally but it's still cool to have the physical US CD Maxi single with all the mixes on it. The tracklist consists of awesome remixes from the likes of Peter Rauhofer (he did the Club 69 remixes), Wayne G (he did the Grip's Heartbroken Mix) and Phat'n'Phunky. Everytime I take the maxi single out of my shelf, it takes me right back to that day when I got it in the mail and I could finally hear those (back then) exclusive remixes for the first time. Ah, memories!

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Didrick

posted
updated

Here's a video of someone unboxing the North American maxi single.

Report Reply

Reply by Didrick

posted
updated

It should also be mentioned that Cher recently released a 25th anniversary deluxe edition of her album"Believe" as well, with remixes of the single of the same name (Almighty Definitive, Club 69 Future, Phat'n'Phunky Club) as well as remixes of "Strong Enough" (Male Version, Pumpin' Dolls Radio), "All Or Nothing" (Almighty Radio, Metro Mix, Danny Tenaglia Inchermental), "Dov'รจ L'amore" (Emilio Estefan Jr Extended, Tony Moran 7", Tee's Radio One Instrumental, Ray Roc's Latin Soul Instrumental) and while it is awesome to see those remixes being part of the deluxe edition of the album, I wish her label would've given us unreleased gems like the Love To Infinity and Wayne G (Mardi Gras) remixes of "Believe", as well as the Sleaze Sisters remix of "Strong Enough". I also read that Sleaze Sisters supposedly had done a remix of "All Or Nothing" as well, but I'm thinking it's an unreleased remix that has never leaked (unlike the LTI remix of "Believe") and there's no information about any releases of AON on Discogs having that Sleaze Sisters remix on either.

Report Reply