« Back to the Catholicism Forum

Vatican II

Generally speaking what are your thoughts on the Second Vatican Council? Do you believe the reforms that were made were necessary for the Church? I get the feeling that there is a strange division within the Church today between Traditional and Non-Traditional Catholics. Some want the Extraordinary form of mass to come back while others like the Novus Ordo. Pope Francis has remained steadfast in his belief that the Latin Mass should be snuffed out completely. But what do you think?

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by Worm!

posted

I think, one one hand, it made practicing Catholicism more accessible, as more people were able to understand what exactly is going on during Mass since it is now spoken in their language. Alongside accessibility, practitioners gained a better understanding of the sacraments and the religion as a whole. However, the tradition of using Latin was and still is very important to some people. I think people are afraid to accept the changes Vatican II made because they are afraid it will cause a trend in more traditions being erased for the sake of an easier to understand version of them. 

Report Reply