« Back to the Mental Health & Relationships Forum

Searching for “the one” might cause you to miss them

We love to romanticize “the one” as being our mate that will seamlessly flow with the good and bad of our lives without much challenges or problems. But what if “the one” was just another unicorn? Could this obsession cause us to miss potentials in our environment because our scope is too small?

Let’s talk about it.

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ️LoveGoddess

posted
updated

I learned that in order to meet "The One", we MUST be working within our purpose. Our natural talents and personal interests is where our purpose is! 

We must heal from past traumas, work on self-improvement/self-development, let go of the "he's/she's not my type" mentality. The One for us will most likely not be our type but our spirits will be naturally drawn to each other. It will be a mutual connection and there WILL be attraction.

There's a youtube video called "5 Keys To Identifying Your Soulmate" by Toure Roberts. I immediately stopped dating and focused on myself after watching that video. This was about 7 years ago that I "accidentally" came across this video. 

Also I highly recommend the books:
1.Wholeness by Toure Roberts (and)
2.The Wait by DeVon Franklin & Meagan Good

Not telling anyone to stop dating or anything, I just chose to stop because my energy and emotions are very valuable to me and I just wanna meet my purposemate so we can do this thing called a very fulling life together!

We need to focus on bettering ourselves first! In due time The One will naturally be presented to us and we WILL KNOW when that person is The One. I recognized The One for me during the pandemic and I got confirmation n all. Just waiting for a last sign of confirmation which is actually having a dialogue with him. When you know, YOU KNOW!

Report Reply

Reply by Harrison

posted

Wow thank you for this insight! I’ll be adding these books to my list!

Report Reply

Reply by Cali

posted

You miss the one by trying to build this image that YOU yourself want, without accepting and comprehending what you may need. Furthermore, finding a livavle balance within the two, for you "perfect" person is the ultimate task. You attract what you are. If you are broken and continue to live in your brokenness, you allow other broken souls, spirits, energy...into your realm, your life. And then they gain power bu you fixing them up to be better. All the while, youre breaking YOU< in the process. 

You don't need to look for what is meant for you. In the time you may catch alone, use it to better understand who YOU are. Once  you've done  that, what you've learned will come to fruition in the next person. Maybe, just maybe, when all that needs to be learned is comprehended, the "search" for your person will have ended. 

Report Reply

Reply by Rogo

posted

I thought i found the "one" early this year till i let my pride get the best of me and broke up with her, i haven't been able to connect with anyone else since then and sometimes i feel i am just holding myself back with the illusion that we will get back some day even though she hates me now and has moved on with someone else, i just don't have the heart to open up to anyone. 

I have been wondering if this "one" concept is a thing of the mind or we can actually meet people we have similarities with and work on becoming "one"

Report Reply

Reply by LEROY

posted
updated

I feel like there are people who keep saying they want to find their other half, but they just basically wanna date themselves. Sometimes we cast such a small net and if we do catch something, my experience has been I become a victim of my own preferences lol. They don't like me back because I don't fit their criteria. 

Anyway finding love should be more about trying to understand & experience people more than going into a situation trying to see if someone is identical to you. We've got so many options, so why limit yourself into only seeking what you're accustom to. 

Report Reply

Reply by BabyGirl36

posted

I feel as though finding "the one" we cast this image in which we want for ourselves. I thought I had found "the one" only to find out that the one he was made for at the time was my ex friend. I had quickly learned that in order to truly and deeply love someone you must first love and cherish who you are as an individual. Love comes in many forms, and our outlook on love differs from one to another. 

I have learned that to truly be happy, I have to begin with myself. 

Report Reply