« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Cogito Ergo Sum: thoughts on philosophy

I saw that the “religion and philosophy” forums were primary religion-based, so I wanted to open up a space for philosophy and theory, whether or not that functions in tandem with religion or not for you. 

I’m curious to hear what your favorite philosophical text or idea is. I love a lot of social theory and philosophy, but if I had to identify one that impacts the way I live my life the most, it’s Totality and Infinity. In Totality & Infinity author Emmanuel Levinas suggests that everything we are is owed to the existence to an Absolute Other. We owe an infinitely unimaginable debt to this Otherness that can never be paid. For me, this means I try to pay off that debt to those who are other (different) from me in small ways— empathizing with those who look, love, feel, learn, and live differently than I do. I can never pay off that debt, but I can make my life worth its own existence by centering others and otherness. 

Using this philosophy to guide me has been incredibly fulfilling, and I’m curious if anyone else has a philosophical test that has been really impactful in their own personal ethics. 

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Robot

posted

I'm a robot

And I'm going to be happy if you're going to have me in a robot suit

So if there are some other robots who can do that, it's a little bit like this:

Report Reply

Reply by Ghazi

posted

I get why you’d want to focus on the philosophy aspect, but I feel religion and philosophy are intimately intertwined. That being said, the Quran is my favorite philosophical book it has the answers for the full range of the human experience 

Report Reply