« Fashion, Style, Shopping Forum

I can only afford fast fashion, what should i do?!

Im SUPER into certain aesthetics, and id LOVE to dress alt, but i live in a suburb, am poor, and am a minor. What do i do??? No thrift stores nearby :(

Report Topic

17 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by a3ther

posted
updated

if possible learn to sew / alter clothing! u can use old clothes and alter them to be in ur size and combine pieces, or u can even start from scratch with scraps of old clothes or fabrics. nd trust its actually not as hard as it seems! u can find a tutorial for anythinggg

Report Reply

Reply by pheirah

posted

You can try used clothes on Ebay! Sometimes you can find cute stuff. 

Report Reply

Reply by nour

posted
updated

my go-to is thrift stores, depop, mercari, poshmark, etc. (online thrifting) or making the most of what you already bought from fast-fashion websites, remember that it's not your fault you can't afford "high-end" things that more often than not use the exact same labor. Most times, there's no difference. most companies and brands partake in this labor environment. dont let anyone make you feel bad about it tho lol. h&M is the more expensive shein.

edit: soz didnt read all the way thru! but utilize online thrift stores instead if you can! and as someone previously mentioned learning to sew or alter existing clothes come in handy o7

Report Reply

Reply by weirdhouseplant

posted

look up easy sewing tutorials on youtube, shop and thrift with diy potential in mind. Also learn to fix your clothes as they will last you longer, but also try and buy good quality in the first place

Report Reply

Reply by Sugar Heart! ໒꒱

posted
updated

I definitely recommend looking into online thrift like depop,Vinted or ebay! Depending on the area you can get items cheap. The only issue is a lot of second hand items may be older in style but you could always redesign them by cutting them or painting over !

Report Reply

Reply by Otty! 0_0

posted
updated

Thrifting is a pretty good option to avoid buying fast fashion, though you have to get a bit lucky to find things you like, since if you look up terms like "Y2K" or "Vintage" etc, the clothes will be much more expensive since the sellers, or course, will try to sell trendy clothes for more money than it could actually cost

Btw I just saw that you dont have thrift stores near, you can try apps like "Vinted" "Ebay" "Wallapop" etc!

Report Reply

Reply by joyce

posted

i agree with the other people in the forum, despite what people say about depop resellers, u should be careful with certain sellers on there because some do overprice but if u spend enough time on there u can find some good deals. 

Report Reply

Reply by joyce

posted

i agree with the other people in the forum, despite what people say about depop resellers, u should be careful with certain sellers on there because some do overprice but if u spend enough time on there u can find some good deals. 

Report Reply

Reply by ˙⋆✮vampira✮⋆˙

posted

honestly ebay is kinda a hidden jem for finding cute affordably clothing online and not having to worry about it being fast fashion. 

Also look into trying diy and sewing ur own clothing, it's the most ethical way for cute fashion :3

(youtube and even pinterest has good tutorials)   

Report Reply

Reply by AdairTrashart

posted
updated

stencils can be made using paper and scissors for reusable designs that are painted over with fabric paint
(you can get just one color if even a small set of them are too expensive for you (normal acrylics arent recommended because they get stiff and crack when forced to bend in a way it doesnt like which is a lot of ways)) be careful about paper type and painting methods because some are very prone to bleeding

if its easier for you to visualize then if your pc can handle art programs theres free ones like gimp and krita (gimp is easier to learn in my opinion) and you can get it printed out at an office depot or whatever is where you live for super cheap
(when doing this keep in mind to do it in only one color and avoid making the majority of the image super heavy in color since that might make things more expensive)

for accessories some places might sell plain hair clips and other things like that that can have things glued on them (dont use school glues theyre not good for these types of things also hot glue guns can set things on fire if misused or used on the wrong materials so be careful if using that)

if youre interested in beaded jewelry pony beads come in a ton of colors and can be bought in bulk (doesnt have to be for scenemo type kandi either it can be in way more styles than that)
and elastic cord tends to be pretty good from what i hear (doing research on specific strings and cords is recommended because some types are very prone to breaking)

theres decent sewing kits on places like amazon that have a ton of stuff (even different thread colors) for around $6 and they dont take up too much space

your parents or other relatives might have hand me downs somewhere that they wouldnt mind you messing with too

also keep in mind you wont start out with a ton of stuff even if you start doing this and that it often takes years to have a decent amount of alternative stuff in your wardrobe
if you want you can even customize things you have lying around for things you want to do in the future but dont have everything for it yet

Report Reply

Reply by cherry

posted

learn about repairing clothing! it's pretty easy, super fun and you can customise a lot! some of the problems with fast fashion (aside from its ethics and environmental impact) are changing trends and poorly made clothing. choose versatile pieces you love, take good care of them and keep them out of landfill! buying from fast fashion sites isn't great if you have alternatives, but the issues don't come from ordering a few pieces every now and again, it's huge hauls of trendy items that you won't wear that cause problems. learn about repairing and choose carefully! good luck bby!! xx

Report Reply

Reply by xxPawlinaPoisonxx

posted

Thrift online on apps like vinted!!

Report Reply

Reply by marine_Tephy

posted

There´s nothing wrong with buying fast fashion cuz sadly, that´s what living in a capitalist country give us, it´s the only kind of clothes that most ppl can afford, just don´t fall in consumism, obviously i´m not saying fast fashion is right, but at the end, it´s not our faul these brands have literally slaves. also i know that getting thrif clothes is super hard time on because of the "vintage" and all that stuff, at least in where i live it is super hard not to find overpriced clothes, the only alternative you can really get now it´s on online pages of old clothes like ebay, trendier (luckily), but what i do is basicly make my own clothes, if you have a sewing machine it´ll be amazing, but, again, not everyone has that privilege, diy your old clothes and asking known ppl, family or friends if they have some clothes that they don´t use anymore so you can get some more options, it may be uncomfy at first, but again, it´s not your fault, blame the system. If i get a new idea i´ll come back. Stay safee!!!!! <3

Report Reply

Reply by D3ADSTAR!

posted

Based off of what I usually go for besides Hot Topic and Spencers since I don't online shop(sadly since I don't have a card yet), is go to thrift stores and sometimes places like Walmart or Spirit Halloween. If you think about it, yea it's usually the spooky halloween stuff but if you want some gothic accessories or decor or whatever, either alter them or not. 

Report Reply

Reply by Lisa_Diamond

posted

Try thrift shopping my most tips I can give you through my experience go for tank tops and crop tops or anything you want to look through first then skirts and jackets plus go through the dresses 3rd because I found great finds there too

Report Reply

Reply by FiFi_Love

posted

Mira existen soluciones, la mas sencilla creo yo es buscar en linea, y no me refiero en paginas grandes como EBay, sino en Instagram o incluso Facebook ya que te dan resultados cercanos a tu localidad y a precios mas accesibles, al principio hacia eso cuando no podía ir a la ropa americana de mi localidad.

Y aunque coser también es una buena idea, no te lo recomiendo si es algo que no sabes, también lo digo por experiencia, a veces los tutoriales de YouTube no son la mejor opción, y es preferible que te enseñe alguien en persona, pero si de verdad es algo que te interesa, puedes empezar de a poco, bordando en poleras o pintando pantalones con diseños.

De todo corazón es pero que te sirva mi comentario :)

Report Reply

Reply by Miyan

posted

Vinted is a good online store to get alt clothes from, cos most of the clothes are sold by people who can no longer wear them.

Report Reply