« Food and Restaurants Forum

simple recipes from around the world

Hi everyone! if you want can you recommend me some simple recipes from around the world? I would like to cook something new and tasty. :3

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Faust

posted

If you like spicy food, I recommend mapo tofu! It's a Chinese soft tofu dish from Sichuan in a spicy sauce and you eat it with white rice. In my opinion, it's pretty easy to make. But depending on where you are, finding the ingredients for it can be challenging. 

You can find all the ingredients for it in an Asian market if you have one near you. There are also mapo tofu seasoning packets. You just follow the instructions on the packet and add tofu and ground meat. This is a pretty good option if you just want to try it first, and that way you don't end up with a bunch of ingredients that you might not use in your kitchen. :^) These packets might taste a bit different from a homemade version, though.

I've (loosely) followed this recipe before and enjoyed it. Beware the spice! This dish is from Sichuan and they don't mess around with spice!!! If you follow this recipe, the Sichuan peppercorn will add a numbing effect to the dish. Also, I eat this dish all the time without the meat, so I think it's OK if you don't feel like adding it, as I don't feel it makes a big difference. :^)

Report Reply

Reply by Monica

posted

thank you very much! I think I can find the ingredients at the asian market near me. can't wait to try it! I usually eat diced tofu, dipped in potato starch, browned and then completed with a soy sauce, water, honey and gochujang. so yummy! :D

ps: I love your Tecna pfp, Winx were one of my favorite cartoons. Have you by any chance watched the series Fate:The Winx Saga? what do you think?

Report Reply

Reply by Faust

posted

Let me know how you like it once you try it! Mapo tofu is one of my favorite dishes. And your tofu recipe sounds delicious!! I've made tofu like that before. You really can't go wrong with coating it in starch, frying it, and then tossing it in sauce.

I did watch Fate: The Winx Saga! I admit I wasn't the biggest fan, lol. I didn't enjoy the story very much, and in my opinion, it seemed like it should have been its own show, unrelated to the Winx. But I appreciate that it got the general public talking about Winx Club again. I'm from the US, and Winx Club has not been relevant here for years. So it was nice to see people talking about Winx again. :^)

Report Reply