« Automotive Forum

why are JDM cars so overhyped

Posted by Spunchb0b3339

posted

Forum: Automotive

Many popular JDM sports cars, such as Nissan Skylines, Silvias, AE86, and the Supra (oh god), are so overrated. I understand that they have a reason for their popularity, but it's important to recognize that there are plenty of other great cars outside of Japan. I've seen some people worship these cars and im pretty sure none of them drives one or own one its crazy

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by GottiDaShotti

posted

i own a jdm and if i had an extra 20k lying around itd be worth it (its in the shop rn racking about 1500 in repairs -_-). I think the hype comes from the endless list of mods that are available for these cars from purely cosmetic to performance parts. If you have enough money these cars are essentially Theseus' ships. Another reason I can think of is Japan's modding culture in general, from Bosozoku cars and bikes to simple, undertone-esque mods. I don't know how to word it properly, but if I'm ever looking at a car that's for sale in Japan, they almost always replace the rims or something similar. I mean, in the US it's pretty similar. Media also hypes these cars up; Fast and Furious, Initial D, racing games, etc. From a more technical side some of the engines are very impressive; Honda's DOHC engine, Toyota's 2JZ, (Mazda's rotary engine can be decent if you work out the kinks), and even Nissan's VQ engine (had to mention since i have one) are all solid, long lasting engines. I think their affordability and unique sporty looks are what make high schoolers flock to em and clap the mess out of em.

Report Reply

Reply by CLK

posted

true. the reason why these cars became so popular in the first place is because of how cheap they were to buy and modify into beasts

thats just not the case anymore. 240s go for insane prices relative to their condition, even the Z31 is overpriced on the used market despite not even being desirable. JDM fanboys will one day be replaced by chinese EV enthusiasts which is arguably way worse and im not ready for that

Report Reply