« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

What's up with imgur not working here?

Come on. It works on any other site. This is killing my enjoyment of the site, and I don't have time to move all my images somewhere else.

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ニーチェはクソだ

posted

Ignoring the fact that imgur is a piece of crap overloaded with unnecessary stuff, as far as I remember in their own ToS it is forbidden to use it as an external image hosting service (I can confirm this from experience, it was something I learned the hard way). 

Speaking of more objective things, weren't they themselves going to remove images not associated with an account and NSFW? Any site that massively removes user content in this or any other way doesn't seem like a very solid long-term alternative. Uploading any image to another service literally takes a couple of seconds, so I don't think it's a lot of work.

Report Reply

Reply by Skip Jøhnson

posted

I do not see anywhere in the TOS prohibiting image hosting. That would be odd considering their service provides embed codes for the images they host.

Anyway, there' no reason it shouldn't work here.

Report Reply

Reply by ニーチェはクソだ

posted

You can see it in the ToS.

"Stuff not to do" part.

Report Reply

Reply by Skip Jøhnson

posted

Odd wording there. Seems like it's there so they can do what they want. Even funnier considering the last part of the TOS:

You can upload images anonymously and share them online with only the people you choose to share them with. If you make them publicly available, they may be featured in the gallery. If you share an image publicly with Facebook, Twitter, Digg, Reddit, etc., then it may end up in the gallery.

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

It's partially a spacehey issue, partially an imgur issue. I used the Python requests library to do a test getting a random image from the imgur home page that I tried to link in a bulletin and got this:

import requests
response = requests.get('https://external-media.spacehey.net/media/sj-5DOvlO-pX4PvceIbMEZnYFbr8VewQ28himtSBw0bg=/https://i.imgur.com/8IpubcM.jpeg')
print(f'{response.status_code}: {response.reason}')

>>> 429: Too Many Requests

What's happening is that SpaceHey passes everything through a proxy to make sure no malicious material is being uploaded to the site, which was still able to happen a while back despite the no-js-on-your-profile restriction. As part of imgur's recent restrictions on their content, they've tightened up how many requests an individual or another site can make in a time period.

An really needs to shut down that proxy for everything but CSS files, but if a site this obscure is consistently hitting their limit then imgur also needs to raise the maximum number of requests a site can make

Also imgur's restrictions around using their site are intended to prevent people from using them as a commercial hosting service. Essentially "don't use us as the backbone of your professional website or app." Personal use within the bandwidth and storage limitations of a regular user account is fine

Report Reply

Reply by Skip Jøhnson

posted

That makes sense. I noticed the proxy and figured it was part of the issue.

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

The proxy is always the issue, it's caused so many more problems than its solved. We used to be able to use the audio and video html tags until the proxy completely broke them.

Report Reply