« Art and Photography Forum

What do you do when you're art blocked?

Posted by hexen

posted

Forum: Art and Photography

lately i've found that whenever i sit down to draw i'm not satisfied with anything i come up with. normally ruts like these just sort of go away after a while and i get a burst of motivation but i'd like to be more proactive about getting out of this mindset myself instead of sitting and waiting. what do you like to do to motivate yourself to draw?

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by MiloMortis

posted

sometimes i just do not know what to do, i keep trying but it is like it never work, after that i just try to clear my mind, i talk with my gf or friends, do something like play yume nikki together or overwatch 2, at the end of the day i try to draw again, and if it does not work, i repeat everything the next day

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Sim

posted

Not feeling satisfied with your art from time to time is pretty normal, I like the explanation that it can result from your perception skills getting better than your art skills, when you're on an art block it can mean that you're better at understanding your art's weaknesses. So in a way you're always improving some part of your skillset.

Graphic by Shattered-Earth on DA.

I usually try to overcome in what I'm lacking, but sometimes it's not so easy to diagnose the issue, so I try out different things like techniques, mediums and styles, trying to branch out as much as I can to incorporate those new elements in my art and 'upgrade' it. It's harder to get bored that way for me.

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by adrian

posted

I never start with a white canvas. The white canvas can be intimidating and it usually contributes to art block. i start with a medium dark color, usually not too saturated. Screw around with some random colors that you think would go well, from dark to light. From there, I have a general template that I can be further inspired from as I go, messing around with values and trying out ideas that come to mind. Take this as far as you want to go- one of mine actually is in the process of becoming a fully rendered piece, but others I’ve only rendered halfway. 

Permalink Report Reply