« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

spacehey becoming mainstream

earlier in the week i saw a blog post talking about how spacehey should stay lowkey and exclusive to the people who are nostalgic about "the old internet". 

whats yall opinions on that? 

I feel like the reason i use this site is because I like the interface. the blog/buletins/forums/groups give different ways of intereacting with people who are not just in your friends lists. much easier to discuss with strangers than just instagram comments. 

I honestly wouldnt mind seeing my friends join spacehey as another social media option. not because i dream about simpler days. I just like how this site works compared to other options. 

am i wrong? thoughts? 

Report Topic

35 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by freezerburnz99

posted

i would like it if SpaceHey was about 1/4 the size of Tumblr's current userbase but i don't think they'll get enough donations to support that

Report Reply

Reply by Zecnetovk V.

posted
updated

I disagree, I wont mind for Spacehey to become mainstream, like someone said here: the more the merrier. The only thing I despise is how many who are joining are treating this like the same style of Twitter and other social media platforms. 

No, there is no Moots, your DNI criteria is unnecessary here(Yes Im HELLA tired of blog posts like these every fucking second!) and overly COMMON FUCKING SENSE , nobody cares for your tons of Mental illness put like some sort of Badges of Honor neither what is your sexuality, nobody either fucking cares about your stupid fucking pronouns, Dont come here to do "activism" either (unless you have a group of sort so to be honest thats entirely different.)...

Sigh... yeah is just Im so FED UP from all of that. I come here to Spacehey to get a break from all of that nuisance just to get that chronologically here, oh hell no! Share about your day instead, hangout with your pals, random thoughts and pictures... there is more to personality, life and character development than your imaginary "gender" and "sexuality".

Ive been wanting many of my friends to join here to hangout and share about our days, but I simply had no luck :( thats the purpose of social media isnt?

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

I'd like for this site to gain more users, although I am concerned about the site becoming user hostile if it does become mainstream. Just take a look at what happened to other mainstream social media websites such as YouTube over the years and compare them to how they were when they first started.

Report Reply

Reply by flipperzero

posted

I don’t feel like spacehey remaining “lowkey” or becoming “mainstream” is really even a matter here.

This site seems to fill out a very specific niche, which is to simulate the layout and functionality of an old school social network web page. the fact is, not everyone online is looking for a “retro” theme. mostly, people are looking for a straight forward way to follow and update on creating and commenting over posts across platforms with other close connections or mutual random participants.

All that said, there are so many other networking avenues available which ngl better fill out those requirements, this place has nothing to worry about if keeping together some form of “consensus” is the concern lol.

Really tho, the big influx is moving towards more the direction of alternative competitors like lemmy, mastodon, peertube, even GNU social is soon approaching on top of whatever Bluesky is gonna turn out to be.

Moreover, I hope no one takes it the wrong way this is just me, but spacehey is -not- the de facto platform for a retro or old school styled network. There are several differently configured avenues which serve several diff purposes. Pubnix are full blown public access mainframe systems accessible via terminal program to take part in either a custom userspace or interactive BBS system circa 70s - 90s internet (that’s right, 70s, look up ‘ARPAnet’). 

In fact, I’d implore a lot of you who might be technologically proficient enough to go ahead and openly setup and explore discovering much of these old, new, and even hybridized protocols including gopher:// (the original web), gemini:// (memex-realized), IPFS (p2p nodes), freenet, i2p, the list goes on, there’s even an IPFS-Gemini bridge protocol to serve capsules over decentralized nodes.

TL;DR - This place has nothing to worry about, there’s a boom happening across all manner of smallnet and deepweb, and that said i’d invite much of you who are reasonable and rational to expand your horizons and get out of your comfort zone a bit discovering protocols and networks old and new. You kight be surprised.

Report Reply

Reply by method

posted

i don't really think it's mainstream. like ppl join then they disappear and its mostly empty accs. i doubt its becoming insanely popular ngl

Report Reply

Reply by mossy :]

posted

I would love to see my friends join here, and I gush about spacehey on tumblr at every opportunity I get. imo it's not influxes of people that ruin places like tumblr, it's staff changing the ui to make it worse/tiktokified

Report Reply

Reply by Nikkalotz

posted

The children that treat this website as an "aesthetic" will make an account, realize there's no constant dopamine fueling their broken brains like an IV drip, and will run away crying for TikTok and YouTube Shorts to melt their brain with more endless slop.

Most of the people making accounts here are the average neurodivergent minor fleeing Twitter seeking refuge onto social media that they'll actually like, only to realize they don't belong here because this is not a Twitter alternative. SpaceHey is a way to socialize online in the way people used to be able to.

These kids think that just because they can make a pretty looking profile that they can just fit into here perfectly fine, but they can't because they think the old web is a gimmick that looks cool.

Report Reply

Reply by Loewin

posted

It doesn't matter to me. I just hate knowing it's gonna become a censored safe space.

Report Reply

Reply by Loewin

posted

It doesn't matter to me. I just hate knowing it's gonna become a censored safe space.

Report Reply

Reply by Skylar Lark

posted

I honestly hope that this site gets more popular. I like how customizable it is compared to the social media sites we have today, and it's more fun in my opinion.

Report Reply

Reply by Ashley

posted

With mass popularity comes the drawbacks that all social media sites have in common these days. Stale, censored, and identity politics.

I like it being popular enough to have good traffic, but not Instagram-tier traffic. My worry is that some social media company like Meta, Google, etc. will see this site's creativity and fairly lax (in comparison) speech and want to control it. I fear they'll offer this site's creators an undeniable lump sum of cash, buy it out, and censor/strip features and essentially deliberately kill the site. We see it done over and over; it's how Youtube went. I'd love to see this project turned into an open source decentralized federated platform, so that there'd be less fear of it disappearing due to Meta/Google's/etc. desire for a controlled internet.

Report Reply

Reply by GooCheeno

posted

As a new user I'm of the opinion that the site could definitely serve to be more popular but there's a balance to it. The more people join the more likely it is to become less user friendly and more like new social medias, and the more resources need to be used to keep the site running. There is a balance between healthy and sizeable userbase and having one that's so large that it becomes a detriment to the vision of the site itself.

Report Reply

Reply by SnowyOwl

posted
updated

Honestly, I do hope this site grows pretty big and stays the same with all the customizable profile pages. It deserves a lot of love since it brings back a ton of nostalgia to others, and also lets other new generations to have what would nearly be a perfect replica of a MySpace experience. This place is lovely, even after just one day of joining this site! Right now imo, it feels a lot better than experiencing any other mainstream social platform.

Report Reply

Reply by BahiaDoSul

posted

I think that if people don't make it messy is fine. Also, it's not a network for everyone, most ppl ik would wanna have a cool layout n sht but they'd probably give up on the first try and abandon their acc that easy, so I don't think it can be too mainstream under these conditions lol, principally when no smartphone app alternative.

Report Reply

Reply by May

posted

Honestly, like many other users said, it would be great to have more users so the site can be more active. On the other hand, I’m worried that even with the nostalgic feeling the layout of spacehey provides, it will become like other social media, in terms of topics of discussion and modern fan wars…

Report Reply

Reply by THE ▌ᴀᴛҠӀИԌ▐ OF SPACEHEY

posted

how spacehey should stay lowkey and exclusive to the people who are nostalgic about "the old internet".

there was a time when spacehey was like this... and it was boring as hell

90% of mastodon and lemmy are like this... and it is boring as hell

do what you will

Report Reply

Reply by nui♡gurumi

posted

i think its stupid to gatekeep the old internet, reserving it only for those who were there for it. everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy a place where you are fully in control of what you see instead of what the algorithm wants you to see

Report Reply

Reply by Norman Bon

posted
updated

I guess I would leave this platform if it becomes mainstream. Anything that is ported to masses becomes "soulless" because it's used/viewed also by those people who don't understand the potential of that.

Let me explain better with an example: me and some other users are here not only because this is a MySpace fan revival project, but also because we still believe in a not-so-decentralized Internet without ads, algorithms and any other modern harmful tools, while many are here without even knowing these things and only thinking about the "new social network to use and then try to turn it trendy on TikTok or somewhere else". Modern web is saturated with stupid content like dances on TikTok, bunches of kids having "mental issues", pointless modern music and so on.

I look more for small social networks and those few forums still alive because it feels like being in a small family: anyone knows anyone, there aren't so many people and that also means that there aren't so many annoying users. You can be "closer" to some people if the userbase is about hundreds of people than millions, for example.

Report Reply

Reply by 🌹DANI

posted

In my opinon, I don't think it will ever become THAT mainstream. even if the wannabe scene kids on tiktok exist, if they're not into it enough, they won't have the patience to engage in such a ""weird"" site. me personally i didn't get here to fit into an aestetich, but rather because i'm tired of algorithms, tired of ads, tired of celebrities/influencers, tired about discourse, tired of the xenophobic comments and discussions i see EVERYWHERE. i already have places like tumblr where i'm active, but here, it's even more peaceful. (sorry for getting some words wrong english is not my first language!!

Report Reply

Reply by 🌹DANI

posted

In my opinon, I don't think it will ever become THAT mainstream. even if the wannabe scene kids on tiktok exist, if they're not into it enough, they won't have the patience to engage in such a ""weird"" site. me personally i didn't get here to fit into an aestetich, but rather because i'm tired of algorithms, tired of ads, tired of celebrities/influencers, tired about discourse, tired of the xenophobic comments and discussions i see EVERYWHERE. i already have places like tumblr where i'm active, but here, it's even more peaceful. (sorry for getting some words wrong english is not my first language!!

Report Reply

Reply by Jamesie

posted

i want everyone to use it, EVERYONE used myspace before they all switched to facebook, and spacehey is a myspace 'recreation' so why shouldnt it become mainstream?

Report Reply

Reply by David V. Kimball

posted

Just let it grow organically and see what happens. It's not even remotely close to mainstream yet, probably not any time soon if ever.

Report Reply

Reply by レイン3ko

posted

i know my opinion doesn't really hold as much weight as a newer user, but i don't think it would be necessarily bad for spacehey to become mainstream. i love the format of this website so much more than modern-day social media and i feel like if it did, i'd finally be able to drop tiktok and instagram and whatever else to communicate with my friends

Report Reply

Reply by Emily

posted

More people getting onto a platform with less algorithms trying to get them addicted to social media can only be a good thing, the way I see it; social medias like Instagram and TikTok especially are really unhealthy

Report Reply

Reply by x.{finn}.x

posted

i dont really care about more people coming but politics always being brought up is annoying. im just tired of seeing stuff you can easily find on virtually every other social media platform. im trying to escape modern social media and every corner there is more of the same stuff. i fear that more people joining will make this problem worse. is this the future of social media as we know it? i wish the blogs were actually blogs instead of politics, dni lists and drama. at least normal blogs exist but drama always overshadows them which is why i just gave up on looking at the blogs here. unfortunately it is true that people troll and cause problems even more now because the internet is accessible to literally anyone though

Report Reply

Reply by Arik Ozotf

posted

I wouldn't mind a huge userbase, as it's not really the problem. It's always the social site's response to a huge userbase that turns into a problem. Site sells itself and becomes less unique and borrows concepts from other sites in the name of competition. It'd be great if spacehey doesn't do that, but also I don't know how it could stay afloat.

Report Reply

Reply by Robert Alexander

posted
updated

It's not about the size of the platform. It's got more to do with the corruption within the business world.

MySpace was pretty fucking (although nothing compared to Facebook) huge during its heyday and it wasn't selling our personal information to advertisers. Then again, said advertisers weren't convinced of the potential of social media the way they are today.
I guess it's a matter of culture. Americans worship money. This site is being made by some German guy if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps he's not as right-wing liberal as Zuckerberg is.

This is a bit ironic, but hopefully people will support the merchandising side of Spacehey by buying that mug every now and then. That way we can remain independent and algorithm-free.

Report Reply

Reply by DeliriEm

posted

I think it would be fun with a little more people but not too much (like, it would be kind of uncommon to know anyone irl with it, but you know tons of ppl online). As long as the website STAYS THE WAY IT IS and doesn't become Instagram-ified or Tiktok-ified I think it will stay enjoyable and keep that nostalgic feel most people on here are looking for. 

Report Reply

Reply by Juan Games

posted
updated

I've read a few comments on this post and I agree with most of them. This site should be perfectly fine as long as it doesn't get TikTok-fied it should be fine.

I seriously hate when they constantly make nonsensical changes in the UI of social media like youtube, useless new functions to the website nobody asked for, the gather of personal data and trying to be as addictive as possible.

I'm the first one that sometimes scrolls through youtube shorts and videos and I hate that fact. Plus, all social media platforms copy each other to make this possible (although to be fair, this has been the case in technology since the beginning).

In conclusion, this is an amazing social network and probably how these should have stayed. As long as it has enough moderation, I think the more users the better.

Report Reply

Reply by Kevin_metalhead

posted

I definitely agree with Zecnetovk V. This shouldn’t be an extension of TikTok/Twitter with mental illness glorification and extreme political correctness. Having it being a hangout site for different interests is perfect. I was too young to use MySpace back in the day, but it really sounded like a fun place to hang out, share music, etc.

I’m hoping a full fledged music player like the one that was on MySpace will be added as the user base grows. I think that could be at least a little bit of something that could solidify this site as different from TikTok/Twitter.

Report Reply

Reply by Carboniferous

posted

SpaceHey has almost no chance of ever becoming mainstream. People use Twatter and Instacrap because their friends, celebrities, and favourite companies are already there. SpaceHey doesn't have that culture, it's a place for people who loved the old web. People who only see this place as another stupid "aesthetic" to collect will either be laughed off or get bored quickly. Also, the SpaceHey mobile app is extremely limited, which is a major turnoff for most normie consumers who are used to social media apps being a mobile-only experience.

Unless enough companies, celebrities, and authorities randomly drop their mainstream platforms for SpaceHey, this place isn't going mainstream for a looooong time.

Report Reply

Reply by Juan

posted

100% agree. The site is being ruined by all the stupid teenagers flocking in and spamming groups, posting their ridiculous gore images. 

Report Reply

Reply by ¤ƒYRˤĐËI†Y¤

posted

You can tell the people who were around in the original MySpace and those who weren't. MySpace was a legitimate GIANT with a massive user base. And it didn't have a single problem that people are worrying about now.

The issue isn't "will more users destroy this platform". Not by a mile. The issue was, and continues to be, corporate (read: Shareholders) ownership and the rules they implemented on the other major social media platforms to establish a profitable advertising and data-harvesting business.

So no. You can have all the users in the world as long as you don't have a profit-maximizing corporation/investor to snuff out the soul.

Report Reply

Reply by Flippiee

posted

I think this platform could become mainstream without a problem as long as the creator doesn't focus on maximizing their profits.
That's the main reason why every single social media online became such a hostile and bland environment to be in.
This place should not be a "safe space" for people with thin skin. This should not be a place bombarded with tons of ads, data collection, algorithms, etc.
The beauty of this place is taking your time to find blogs and posts that you like by yourself.

Report Reply

Reply by Danika x3

posted

im realizing a lot of yall just wanna be edgy... who cares if teenagers come and put their pronouns or disorders on their profile? the point of this website is that communities are more sheltered from each other and anyone can just interact with whomever they want... like if the userbase becomes Tiktok-ified ur not gonna notice babes i promise. there is no algorithm. u just have to not accept friend requests from people u dont wanna b friends with... chill

Report Reply