« Books and Stories Forum

Book Reccomendations for Someone who Hates Romance?

I especially like fantasy, but whenever I go into book shops, 80% of recent books are just romance in disguise. It's super annoying when you read the blurb and expect one thing, then get another :/

That's why I kinda gave up on the genre and went to hard sci-fi for a bit, but I'm a lil bored with that too.

I'm aroace and spicy-repulsed for context. :>

Report Topic

5 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by slouch

posted

maybe dead souls by gogol. 2001 a space odyssey is the only arthur clarke book i've read, it's alright. timon of athens is a shakespeare play with no romance. i used to think it was a nice story but i think it sucks now because something's wrong with me. henderson the rain king by saul bellow might fit your criteria and be a fun diversion, and it also might be really unpleasant and frustrating to read. gl

Report Reply

Reply by red

posted

lord of the rings

Report Reply

Reply by lidia

posted

the hobbit and lotr for sure !!!

good luck fellow ace spec reader

Report Reply

Reply by Moz

posted

might I suggest 'Cat Country'?

Report Reply

Reply by zara

posted

blue by lou aronica scratched the itch for me when i was looking for a good fantasy book without any romance. it's not really full fantasy as it's split between a fantastic world and real life, plus it has themes of terminal illness if you're sensitive about that, but i really do recommend the book. the story was so good i didn't want the book to end, and it left me crying lol.

other than that, maybe the narnia books or lotr? i thought maybe luck in the shadows, but it does have some scenes you may be uncomfortable with and it does develop into a (queer) romance at the end of the second book. good omens is low fantasy, but it barely contains any romance as far as i recall. 

Report Reply