« Books and Stories Forum

Random Author Survey

JUDD book

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Ever since I discovered the ability to tell my own stories and make my own worlds. The day I discovered other people create the stories I've been so obsessed with even before starting school and the stories themselves aren't conceived by machines I guess the "logical assumption" would be at that age. But I've always had books in my life.

How long does it take you to write a book?

It took my co-author and me quite a while to finish out with JUDD, it's gone through many drafts and versions but there's also a lot of things that have stayed consistent. The characters have been there from the beginning, but it didn't start out with powers, it started in the Dramedy genre coming-out story. I wasn't originally going to publish it, I was just writing, but it still felt like it was missing something and not worth sharing on something like FictionPress.net or Wattpad.

After we decided to add superpowers into the mix, all the worldbuilding was coming in as we were pantsing a redraft with a similar story but scenarios where powers were an additional struggle along with the life of being a teenager in the closet. Not only just that but a teenager in general. Eventually, I fell in love with this world and idea we were coming up with and I began to bring publishing up to Erika and she agreed. I started creating docs upon docs of worldbuilding to use and backstory for even side characters as side characters and villains always tend to be my favorite parts in works of fiction.

After I felt I was done I started the draft that would be sent off to Beta readers before publishing. The whole process has taken us 7-10 years, but I just wanted to make sure it not perfect but something worth reading ourselves even. Now we're planning the rest of the series, a bulk of it is planned and hopefully, the later books won't take as long to write, so far so good now that we have a planned direction.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I write while my husband is at work so about six hours a day, five days a week. Sometimes I'll put headphones in and write while he's here but he really likes to talk to me while he's gaming or watching something and I like to give him my attention. So many authors get so caught up in work they leave no time for loved ones. I don't want to be consumed, I tell stories because it's my passion, publishing is the cherry on top.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I have a lot of fun with diverse characters and personalities. The more into the series the stories gets, the more you'll learn about these characters, more than just Sam himself. Yes Sam is the main central story, but I wanted every character to have interesting stories, in a world with superpowers, I imagine a lot of big things happen to people. Again, I've always favored side-characters. I was afraid that fact would take away from Sam's personality, but at this point I'm confident it hasn't

How do books get published?

There are a couple of ways, you can get an agent to get you traditionally published but I believe you give up a lot of creative control when you go traditional a lot of the time. I'm a bit of a control freak, self-publishing was the lane I chose from the beginning, I'm a series writer, I didn't want to be told by "the man" that my story wasn't interesting enough to be into a series or if it was, be told what direction I had to go in it. I believe our story will have an audience; big, small, doesn't matter to me.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

I listen to some podcasts and blogs, and they all give pretty good advice. I'll list them below.

YOUTUBE:
Alexa Donne
iWriterly
Writing With Jenna Moreci

PODCASTS:
The Rebel Author Podcast
Professional Book Nerd
Go Publish Yourself

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I was about ten, it was a Harry Potter parody we'll call it. Since at that age, publishing wasn't even a thought I feel plagiarism is kinda harsh. Only my mom read it and I'm sure it's in a trash heap degraded by now.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I love watching movies, TV shows-- mostly Marvel MCU and Star Wars content--videogames, and of course reading books. I'm very much an introvert.

What does your family think of your writing?

So far they approve and are proud. They know my expectations aren't astronomical and that the point is just to share and be a storyteller. NYT Best Sellers List would be cool, but not required.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How to use a semicolon, never thought I'd learn but I think I'm getting the hang of it

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I've written a handful, at least ten. Not all have been shared but this is my first published.

Do you have any suggestions to help others become better writers? If so, what are they?

If you want to publish and tell your story, do it. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Many write and have a full-time or part-time job. Writing and publishing can also be a part-time job and also be called a career. That's how I see it for myself personally. Also, know what advise to take and not to take, you don't have to take absolutely everything, just consider advise and decide what's for you and what's not.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

We only have ARC and Beta readers for JUDD so far so in terms of it, yes. But when I'd post on WattPad I'd get a lot of feedback and comments of my writing. I just felt one day it was time to take my craft seriously.

Do you like to create books for adults?

I want to eventually, I'm taking babysteps. This is only my first publication so I want to allow myself to grow as a writer before I start on something I feel I'd like to get a bit more complex on.

What do you think makes a good story?

A good idea and letting fictions inspire you. It's not easy to be original but you can still tell a good story if you place your own twist on it somehow.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

I wanted to be a writer. Again, books have been my life, I've been captivated by storytelling since my first Dr. Seuss book was read to me in the early single digit and I eventually memorized the words on every page and was reading them to my mom. That's how I learned how to read, by self-determining what I've been memorizing and making sense of those shapes I was staring at and how they create their sounds.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and get to know about me and our book.

A blank version of this survey will be in the comment section if you'd like to fill it out yourself for a bulletin or blog or something, just make sure to say you got it from me or copy and paste this section along with your post so that the source said in a minute is present. Questions gotten from a website called TeacherVision for young kids who want to interview authors, I'm just using it as a SpaceHey author survey. I figured start somewhere. I'd like to see some more authors show up on this website, aspiring, indie, and traditional.

Report Topic

12 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Laura Wolf

posted
updated

I wanted to be an author when I was a kid. My first book was a hand drawn picture book called "I want to go to the circus" when I was 8 XD
I wrote fanfiction on a long-lost username when I was a teen, and then when I was a mum with toddlers I decided to give it a proper crack and released my first full length novel in November 2018 "A Cinderella for the Undercover Billionaire"

I've written a book in as short as a month for project NaNoWriMo, but those were more novellas. For a full length 55k to 60k word novel it would normally take me a couple of months if I'm writing full time. I've fluctuated with this a bit though as I've struggled with overuse syndrome in my hands.

WhatΒ is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I write during term time while the kids are in school and my husband is at work. I've been learning dictation over the past year because I've struggled with pain in my hands, but I'll generally spend about 3 to 4 hours actively writing and editing a day, and an hour or two doing other behind the scenes stuff.

I love having great supporting characters - lots of awkward relationships with parents or siblings or best friends - as they just add in a bit of extra chaos. I love pushing my characters well and truly out of their comfort zones and making them face down their worst fears - and learn to grasp onto their greatest hopes.

I've chosen to go down the self-publishing route. I know authors who have done both traditional and self publishing, but I think you just get so much more creative control with being an indie author. I enrol most of my books through Kindle Unlimited so people can read them online through a subscription as well as buying them outright because for me it seems like good value when you devour books as fast as I do.

I have such an overactive imagination I literally have a book filled with probably well over a hundred plots. I often get inspiration from books or movies when they end in a way I didn't want them to - so I'll write my own versions the way I want them hahaha.

As above, when I was eight, and then my first published novel when I was about 30.

I love hanging out with my family, going on hikes and reading books.

They absolutely love it. I'm so lucky to have a supportive family.

Just how many services like Draft2Digital there are out there that will help you do all the tricky things like formatting.

Uh... I think I'm up to 17 or so now, including short stories. My favourite is actually a standalone, "Christmas On Henderson Island" which was my quirky version of a modern-day desert island romance... Only the desert island is covered in ocean pollution.
I really enjoyed writing this book and actually interviewed a person who had lived on the island doing trapping and research etc as well.
My favourite overall character though would be my fashion-designer-best-friend Amy Godly from A Cinderella for the Undercover Billionaire.
I'm getting pretty sold on my current work in progress as well though, so it's hard to pick.

Do you have any suggestions to help others become better writers? If so, what are they?

Writing gets better with mileage. If you think you're not good enough - KEEP WRITING and you will get better over time. Even if it doesn't turn out pretty on the first try, that's what editing is for.

I've overall had a really good response and I've had a few people send me emails saying they really liked my stories which has been really humbling. I really appreciate reviews, even when people just give it a star rating as it really gives me motivation to keep going.

Knowing what motivates your characters - and for my genre (contemporary romance) having a satisfying Happily Ever After.

Always an author - now I'm living the dream!!

If you would like to find my booklist, check it out on my website here:
https://laurawolfbookclub.wordpress.com/books/

Report Reply

BLANK VERSION! (If you use this on your bulletin feed, please paste the credits from the final paragraph in my original post, no need to give me credit, just the site it came from)

Report Reply

Reply by Geebez, The Nocturnal Scribe

posted

Not until I was nearing the end of my graduate program.Β 

Well my first took twelve years off and on. I wrote the second in under a year.

That depends. Some days I have hours to work with and other days, I have a few minutes.

I try as fast as possible to get the ideas out of my head before I lose them. I then go back to correct spelling errors, etc.

Well that's a two pronged answer. Self-Publishing allows you to retain the content and feel of your book, though you have to up front the costs associated and do all the leg work. Traditional publishing is much harder and you have to really put yourself out there with letters and interviews to sell your work. It is rewarding for sure, but certain key aspects of your book may be discarded.Β 

A bunch is from life experiences. My writing is influenced by things that I have experienced, plus by music. Many songs have spoken to me in a unique way that I can only express through writing.Β 

I started my first book when I was twenty-four, which was in 2008.

I love gaming and watching music. Nature walks are also fun.

That's a good question. They like it, but getting specifics has been a chore lol

That I actually have the stamina to write them. In addition, I also have a knack for building story-boards to keep my objectives in line and write the book at a steady pace.Β 

Two. My first for sure is my favorite, it is titled An Eye For An Eye, A Life for A Life. It is the first book of the Eternal Restitution Saga.

Do you have any suggestions to help others become better writers? If so, what are they?Β 
Keep at it. There are days when you can pump out over a dozen pages (I've done it), and others where you can't even finish a paragraph. Do not be too hard with yourself in this times, as we all need to step way for a little bit. I once took a six year break with my first book.Β 

A little. They find my first book unique and very good overall. The second I have written is in the editing process.

The genre for the series I am writing is geared toward young adult. I'd say 17-30 year olds.Β 

A solid foundation or sure, with unexpected twists and exotic worlds.

President of the USA if you could believe it haha- I still don't know what I really want to be, but writing speaks to me.

Report Reply

Reply by adam

posted

i have always wanted to do something in the arts, but i suppose not up until a few years ago did i truly realize i wanted to be a writer.

about six months to a year, depending on how quickly i write.

i usually write during the night, so my writing doesn't often conflict with my daily schedule.

i like to use a lot of really long, older english-sounding words, and overall just write like i am a person of the nineteenth century. i usually just pull these words from whatever book im reading at the time. recently, i've been pulling long, fancy words from dracula and frankenstein.

i haven't really dove deep into the youtube/podcast writers available to listen to. i mostly just get my advice from my other friends who are writers, or just read whatever i am questioning about from a random blog.

i was eleven, i believe. i still own it, and look back on it occasionally. my fatal flaw was just that i was writing it more like it was a tv/movie script, and not a novel.

i play guitar, go buy stuff for my collections, lots of things.

i'm yet to share my writings with them, but i'm sure they'd not really care one way or another about them.Β 

i'm yet to really have an epiphany while writing, but when i was much younger, definitely learning to not just directly model after novels or tv shows/movies i had seen, and to draw from others i admire, and still make it my own, was definitely a lesson i don't regret learning.

i've written about two. one is a psychological novel, about a horror writer driving herself to madness with her own writings, which i like quite a lot. the other is a romance novel about two best friends coming to terms with the fact that they love each other, which i do also like. i'm not sure if i have a favorite

i will say, extending and varying what i read has definitely helped me become a writer who is prepared to write any sort of scenario. i'm able to write a love confession, but also someone grieving the death of a loved one, mostly because i've put myself out there in terms of what i have read, and read many authors do the same.

i don't share my writings with many people, but i usually hear positivity.

most of my books are targeted towards adults, so yes.

as much as the writing is important, i also believe that believable characters, and characters with personalities and traits that make them their own, is one of, if not, the most important part of a story. i have read so many books that have wonderful writing, and a wonderful premise, but the lack of character depth just makes the story fall flat.

Report Reply

Reply by Tellington

posted
updated

When I began to read? Or even before that?

I finished only two books and these were NaNoWriMo novels, so about a month each. But I never got around to really rewriting them, which would take the most time. Oh and also a children's documentary that took me around two months, twice ('coz this one I edited/rewrote).

Intensive, because I tend to get obsessed with things so if I'm really into a story I'll write it whenever I have free time.

I use way too many em dashes.

Hell if I know! Lol. Well, I sent my kid's book to multiple publishers but it wasn't accepted, so I'm thinking about auto-publishing.

The Internet I guess?

Probably 7 for little stories in book form, 12 for my first novel (but I didn't finish it).

Creating other stuff, like videogames or zines.

They're very supportive, my first readers.

Some stuff about space for my documentary?

The two novels + documentary I talked about earlier. The documentary would be my dearest one (it's about women astronauts).

You just have to write. Reading different stuff can also help.

Well I did hear from my family and friends ^^' they were very appreciative.

Yup, as well as for kids.

Passion?

A writer!

Report Reply

Ever since I was little I loved telling stories, when I was really little (likeΒ  preschool age) I would play house or play with toys and tell stories, and as soon as I learned to write I wrote down stories. So I guess I've always wanted to be a writer.

Dont even get me started on this. Ive never actually FINISHED a book. But to write a chapter or so takes about a week to a month depending on how motivated I am.

I usually write in between studying sessions for homeschooling, but while in regular school I write when I get back (or during lunch)

My protagonists are usually nonbinary and neurodivergent. I rarely write cishet or neurotypical characters because it's just not that easy for me to write lol.

I usually put my stories online, I have two on Wattpad I'm working on, and one on tumblr. I'm not that experienced with physical publishing as I'm just starting out.

I usually get ideas from things I'm interested in. There's a book I'm working on (not sure how I'll publish it yet) that was very inspired by The Owl House.

I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, and I wrote a book about a kid who lived in a toy store. I think it's still in my elementary school library today, or maybe they threw it out idk.

I have a writing/worldbuilding playlist I usually listen to, I listen to youtube videos (I have a whole playlist of video essays and the like), or I listen to a podcast (I still need to finish up listening to The Magnus Archives)

My parents are very proud of what I write, and they think that I would have made my great grandfather (Who was an author) proud.

That you can, in fact, start a sentence with because, but, or and.

Written? A lot. Finished? None really-

Write what you like, dont let people tell you you cant.

Not really (As I dont really post often because I never finish stuff). I dont really have beta readers.

Not really, as I like to create books for my own age group (teenagers)

Good characters, a good story, good writing, and good worldbuilding

It always fluctuated. I wanted to be a marine biologist one year, then I wanted to be a preschool teacher, then I wanted to be a librarian, and now I want to work at a wild life preserve.

Report Reply

Reply by herry

posted

The PC version of terraria is a sandbox exploration game in which the player aims to build out the world according to their own decisions and their abilities in battle, crafting, and resource collecting as well.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by wixaxa1885

posted

I'm really happy I was can to improve insights from this greatΒ 

Tescoviews

Report Reply

Reply by Dead Weight

posted

Late in life. Very late to make a difference.

Under pressure, I can crunch 50k words in a month or less. On my own devices, it takes forever.

Whenever I can, since I'm not a professional author.

I'm quite easy to read, a real page-flipper

In my hellhole of a country? By having big wig contacts and/or winning big name contests.

Internet, and rarely from real persons. I'm seclusive and socially inept. Kinda like Lovecraft but with a cat I can call in public.

My first completed novel came in 2016, when I was 36.

Mostly creative stuff like drawing, programming and papercraft, unless I'm in a quagmire, in which case I'll spend my hours idling on the web or playing PSX games emulated at 10 FPS in my toaster of a netbook.

"Yeah, I'm glad you're writing and all, but you gotta land a job now, a bird doesn't eat while it's flying" -Daddy Dearest.

The characters have a mind of their own and if I want them to do something I have to railroad them and hope for the best

One. And is far from my favorite.

Proofread everything, give it to someone to proofread, and proofread again.

Not much, but they've given me some hints on what to do and what to avoid on Wattpad.

I write stories, I think on the target demographic later on.

Believable characters, a compelling storyline and a couple of nicely placed plot twists.

An integral comic book artist.

Report Reply

Reply by marrontic

posted

I really appreciate the developer's investment in this game. Basketball Stars is both attractive with the stressful situation of pitching, as well as tactical and talented. This makes the game a great choice for basketball fans.

Report Reply

Reply by ⊹ ΰ£ͺ Λ– elizabeth

posted

I wanted to be a writer since I was a child but when I was faced with the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" And saw the differences between me and the answers of my peers I quickly switched up to just deciding something else. But at my heart I know I want to be an author for myself but the creative route, in the eyes of many, has always proved to be so "only if you're a diamond in the rough" kind of thing.

It took me a year to finish a full original project, for fanfics it takes me a few weeks to a couple of months depending on whether it was a shitpost of a project or not.

Can't say.

I mix both American and UK spelling of words in somehow the most infuriating way. One sentence will have color the next will have colour.

If I figure it out it sure as hell won't be now

Most of my inspiration comes from very religious sources and history as well as philosophical ideals. I find that even though my ideas are necessarily religious in itself I find myself taking ideas in some of the lessons and connotations made in biblical books such as the book of Ecclesiastes. With history I find it a great example in drafting out stories of realistic tragedy, anger, and romance.Β 

I wrote my first book when I was 10 years old and finished it when I turned 11. It was... heavily based off of Danganronpa (shoutout to the danganronpa fans out there)

If I'm not writing you'll find me studying or filling up the forums on here.

My family doesn't acknowledge the fact I write, moreover, although they "support" my efforts in writing they're very pessimistic or sarcastic in their efforts of doing so.

That many people take great offense in making indirect biblical references in non religious pieces of literature.

I've written only 2 books with alot of small projects on the side but one of my favorite pieces of work (both as a piece of writing and in my process writing it) was a book I called "Eden".

Honestly, it's best to start now when you're not ready than spend hours of your time watching videos preparing yourself. I know there are people like me that want to be prepared, that want to immediately chuck out a new york bestseller, but realistically we're not all going to end up writing prodigies. It's best to grab a pen and paper or grab your laptop or even phone, open your Β notes, and let everything flow. There is where you'll truly begin to become a writer and it only becomes a road of discipline from there to keep writing and making it consistent.

Majority of my beta-readers remain anonymous and send their critique via an email through a third party. Majority of what I've heard is simply suggestions and improvements. Some people, such as I, sometimes take this as a direct insult towards my ability to write but never forget to take in the fact that most times it's not that deep. Critique isn't made to insult you (unless your readers hate you (which most prolly dont (unless you're coho.)))

Hard no. As a teen I want my audience to be people my age and maybe a little older but ranging to adults fully? If my writing suits their tastes then go ahead but as of now in the stage I am in in writing I don't think I'll branch out to adult writing. Mostly since I don't even know yet what most adult written books for adults contain.

Characters. You can have a good plot, the perfect lesson, a theme made for the century, but if your characters or cast can't carry it then your plot is nothing more than a bonus. Characters for me are the backbone of each story they are the reasons there is a plot to follow in the first place but if your characters aren't made for the plot or are lack luster for the plot you are making then what use is your amazing plot?

As a child my interests varied. I wanted to be an author, I was undecided, I wanted to be an engineer, then a mechanical engineer, then a chemist, the list goes on. But what I know I wanted to be the most but I knew would be a hard job to attain was to be a screen writer or moreover a film director.

Report Reply

Reply by caelo

posted

I've always created stories in my head, when I was six I remember a story that me and a friend did for a game, It was a creepy one but honestly it's not that bad. Since then my head has been full of characters, scenes, and stories to write. I kinda relate to Vida Winter in The Thirteenth Tale. But It was two years ago when I had to choose a career path when I finally decided that the only thing I wanted to do with my life was to write stories for people disconnected from reality. 1

The first book I've finished and that I've worked on "professionally" took me exactly 8 months, I think it would have been less if I hadn't been in a difficult school year and If I had had emotional stability

I like to write something every day, ideas, or small texts, and when I have the entire plot prepared I use writeordie.com to be more productive. It's a web where you put several words and a limit of time, and if you do not write for a few seconds it starts to do a very creepy song and the screen turns red. I know it sounds bad, but trust it is so useful to be 15-30 minutes of nonstop writing cause in the process you create new ideas.Β 

My writing style depends entirely on what song I listen to. So I create a playlist with specific songs for specific moments or scenes. Also, I love using Writeordie for 30 minutes to write one thousand words, trust me its like astral travel after that amount of time you feel relaxed and tired.

Honestly, my dream is to be traditionally published, but for now, as a newbie, I published my first work on Wattpad. It's called "Buscando al Cielo" and it is in Spanish as you can see. For now, I don't have any readers but I'm trying to be a staff pick so it gets some free promo.

Lorena Amkie, Julieta Wibel, and from everything I read or watch.

Β 

My very first work I think was a comic with my mom, I was around ten. My first book was not too late, I was 11 years old when I wrote a story of a werewolf kid wich was insecure, not too brave (just like me) and there was a demon girl and other creatures. It isn't bad, I read it for fun now but back then my friends were impressed.

I love reading books, and webtoons; watching films, and of course, listening to music. I also love meeting with my friends and playing video games but nowadays I don't have a lot of time.

They are proud... but I just let my mom read the very first part of my novel, cause there is some gay couple and you know...closeted things I guess.

The meaning of the flowers and all the Spanish synonyms for "said"

IDK, I write a lot, this is the first I finished and I'm correct, I'm only 17 and the other works that I've done so far are just short stories or unfinished stories, But there are a few of them that I still want to finish. I'm writing another novel now, but "Buscando el Cielo" will always be my favorite because of how personal it is.

I know we want to finish the writing process so fast and we want to be read by others and we want them to be proud but It takes a lot of time! Don't be scared of being slow. Also, do not show your work till it's done, trust me.

My mom said that the first part was cool, I don't have more readers cause I don't want to show my work to my friends as well. The novel that I'm currently writing is less personal and I don't think I will be this scared of people's opinions.Β 

I'm a teenager, so I don't know if what I write is for adults. I do think so but I'm not sure.

When you connect that much to the characters you cry, get mad, or laugh as well as they do, even though you planned what was gonna happen. I love it when my characters feel so human that I'm scared.

Singer, I loved music, not because of the music itself but for the fake scenarios I could create in my head when I was listening.

Report Reply