« Back to the Tom Lehrer Fans Forum

Song Discussions

Posted by Tj's Hollow

posted
updated

Forum: Tom Lehrer Fans Group

The Vatican Rag goes so hard X3 the That Was The Year That Was (1965) version is soo filled with joy, though the Copenhagen (1967) version is definitely a lot clearer, the audience could afford to laugh a lil more though XD at least the opening bit got its dues - butters

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Tj's Hollow

posted

I hold no extreme interest for the specifics of English but I must admit, L-Y is certainly catchy and entertaining. Butters and I would love to make our own live action video for it some day.

- Logan

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Tj's Hollow

posted

The Folk Song Army is a take on virtue signaling which still applies today to the many who only fight for good in media, not in real life. It focuses on those who engage vaguely in causes of good just to improve their own ego, believing themselves to be better than others while doing very little to actually improve situations. While I believe sharing awareness encourages good deeds, this song points out that you have to be willing to actually fight and protest for a cause if you want to make real improvements. - Log and Butters

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Tj's Hollow

posted

The Elements Song provides simple joy to the nerd's heart. I approve. - Logan

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Tj's Hollow

posted

A ramble from a while ago to another distressed alter whom needed distraction.

How I love Pollution, it's so brilliant to make joy out of something so horrible, to point out the sheer ridiculousness of being poisoned by nothing but the basic necessities of life, the air and the water. So delightfully sarcastic about the loveliness of America while pointing out the horrible condition of pollution in the USA. "Like lambs to the slaughter, they're drinking the water and breathing the air!"

And The Hunting Song delights me, humor coming from the subversion of expectations, dark subject matter contrasted with a lighthearted tune and wording, I feel very positively towards it. The twist of the permit being taken away because of the cow, the most seemingly normal thing to hunt, is delightful. The ditty is catchy and pleasant to listen to, I enjoy the rhyme of firm it and permit, in general most of the rhymes are perfection. Its such a fun tease on American hunting. The music of the album version is amazing.

- Logan

Permalink Report Reply