« Back to the arch btw Forum

Any linux operating systems as a daily driver?

Posted by ༒丂ズムイ乇尺1664༒

posted
updated

Forum: arch btw Group

since there is so many Linux distributions and i cant decide where to start one as my daily driver? any recommended Linux OS that i can start with as a daily driver?(everyday use).

p.s. i also seen elementary os and deepin os is a good everyday use but theres alot of restrictions.

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by tsukki

posted

i'd recommend linux mint since it's a "just works" distro, comes with a lot of useful software out of the box -- firefox, office suite, etc -- and it's popular, therefore well supported, i've used for a couple weeks and it's really really stable.

cons

- updates take a while, that can be a blessing or a curse, you'll won't get the latest version of some software for example, but it makes for a stabler system

- out of the box, not that much customizable, but you can swap out the software that you don't like, such as the desktop environment and other system tools

- you'll have to learn a tiny bit of terminal commands, but it's nothing scary, after you learn basic things like how to update your system and such, you'll improve your workflow significantly even if you're not a programmer

hope this helps

Report Reply

Reply by Rainy 🐾

posted

Thought I'd second the Linux Mint recommendation with a bit of additional info (and some personal experience)

The Software Manager and Driver Manager are probably some of the most helpful tools in the OS. It's easy to install tons of programs through the software manager, and the Driver Manager is nice as well. If you have something in your PC that needs some special drivers (in my case, an Nvidia GPU) Linux Mint will show you available drivers and make them easy to install.

On that, it's a pretty good distro for gaming as well. Using a combination of Wine, Proton, and Bottles has allowed me to run many games very smoothly, even getting a Windows-only mod manager (Unverum specifically) working in Bottles.

Off-topic, but I've also heard a lot of good about Pop! OS. I've seen it in action and it looks clean and pretty easy to set up. I also used Garuda Linux for awhile (which is Arch-based) and had a good experience with it.

Report Reply

Reply by ༒丂ズムイ乇尺1664༒

posted

thank you i will look into that! :)

Report Reply