« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Let's talk about witchcraft being simplified and liberalized to fit modern society mentality

Witchcraft is being simplified; that's a fact, especially in more Western-ish parts of the world. It has become not a craft that people used to study for ages, but rather a silly spiritualistic toy that claims you can do, basically, anything. People don't think about any of the existing canons and just stick some cloves into a lemon to hex their ex or stuff like that. People are running around "deities", genuinely thinking that a twitch from their Walmart candle is a sign from Aphrodite, or that after just reading "The Greater/Lesser Key of Solomon" they'll become professional demonologists, etc. And that's only if people even get to read at least something! Apparently, every second person now has a "low attention span" or self-diagnosed "ADHD".

So, what do you think about it? Are such changes something that bring witchcraft and other occult practices forward, or are they just something that shows the degradation of our society and generation? For me, to be honest, it all seems like a game, some RP that people decided to play without actually getting into it and bringing zero effort to the table. This is not really harmful, but at the same time kind of disrespectful to the actual craft and to people who dedicated their entire lives to digging into information that someone else is just too lazy to read or accept. It feels like such an ancient and sacred thing, held dear by lots of people, has just become a way of coping with harsh reality for TikTok kids. Which is not cool.

Anyways, I hope you're getting what I'm trying to say here. I just want to hear your thoughts about it and discuss this topic!

P.S. Sorry if my English is not perfect. It's not my native language. 

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Sofia Rina

posted

What I know is that you don't need fancy items to do witchcraft. 

Report Reply

Reply by ★ calicorocket

posted
updated

I think that, with witchcraft and paganism becoming more mainstream, the stigma surrounding it is starting to fade. it's not gone entirely, and probably never will be, but it's nice to know that in some ways people aren't condemning us as much. 

however, with it being more in the mainstream eye, it lends itself to a watering down of a complex and expansive belief system and practice into, what you said, throwing random ingredients together without an understanding of why they're there in the first place. interest always starts out with a blank slate knowledge-wise, and some people on TikTok do move on to actual study of the practice, but it seems like others don't move past this phase into actual research, instead choosing to play pretend because it makes them feel cool.

it also leads to companies trying to capitalize on its growing popularity. this is where the New Age Spirituality starts to happen; a system of beliefs masked as true spirituality, when in reality its nothing more than an attempt to sell things, and at times toxic beliefs (see the "feminine energy = compassionate, quiet, submissive vs masculine energy = leadership, decision maker, domineering," the "high vs low vibrations = good vs bad emotions," etc.)

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to buy witchcraft supplies from Walmart if you're unable to get them from another source, but the things marketed specifically as authentic tools for witchcraft being sold there feel disingenuous.

all in all, I agree with you on some of your key points, although the low attention span, ADHD thing  and "liberalizing" feels like an entirely different topic. 

Report Reply

Reply by ☆ Luci ☆

posted

My take on it is comparing the more modern witch to the more modern Christian. Not every Christian reads the bible every day and prays before every meal, its become a more simple, more fit for peoples busy everyday lives. And I think the same thing is happening to witchcraft.

Report Reply