« Books and Stories Forum

Mystery and horror book recommendations

I'm looking to start reading mystery and horror books. Any recommendations on what to start with?

Report Topic

18 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Angel

posted

I highly recommend looking into Clive Barker. 

Report Reply

Reply by Genn

posted

Night Film by Marisha Pessl - it's a mystery thriller 

Report Reply

Reply by ItsMackie

posted

What you need to do is go to your bookstore and get the full-color paperback edition of Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves. You won't regret it, it's the scariest book I've EVER read.

Report Reply

Reply by ✿𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕣𝕒✿

posted

anything by paul tremblay!! my favorites are cabin at the end of the world (apocalyptic, crazy home invasion type plot) and disappearance at devil's rock (a woman's son goes missing and she thinks his spirit/ghost is leaving her clues to find him)

Report Reply

Reply by Jamie C.

posted

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is one of my favorites

Report Reply

Reply by Don

posted

For mystery I recommend Kathy Reichs. The TV show Bones was based on her books but the only thing they have in common is the character name and her profession. Sort of. Well, the character is female. But the location, ALL the other characters, her actual character, everything - in the show is different. The books are SOOO much better (aren't they always)?

Reichs has this way of ending a chapter and in one sentence can make your jaw drop. Her 20th book comes out this June 2021. I've read and have everything she has written to date including the ebooks. She developed a YA series with her son and I read that as well.

The character, Temperance Brennan, is an ME in Charleston, VA and travels to Montreal after the winter thaw and works there. She is a forensic anthropologist so the details can be gruesome. This is also what Reichs does/did in real life. Look up her bio, she's incredibly fascinating.

The mysteries are very solid and well done.

Other than her, my favorites are noir. Dashille Hammet is the best followed by Raymond Chandler.

I just finished Douglas Preston & Lincoln Childs "Relic" from which the movie was based.
Again, the movie is maybe 10% of the book.
It was phenomenal! I'm reading the follow up "Reliquary" now. Fantastic books. If they all stay this way I just may read these all year.

Report Reply

Reply by Rooster1975

posted

I highly recommend stephen king. I have a huge collection of his books and can't get enough. Insomnia and sleeping beauties are two that stand out to me. Also the stand is a timeless classic. And if you want to get into a series, you can't beat the dark tower series. 

Report Reply

Reply by Kasper (:

posted

I recommend Even if we break, its a great book with an amazing plot line

Report Reply

Reply by Ray

posted

theres somone inside your house its really good  

Report Reply

Reply by airbag

posted

GILLIAN FLYNN!!! (Sharp Objects, Dark Places, Gone Girl)

Report Reply

Reply by A$h ♥️

posted

Really any books from Mary Downing Hahn or April Henry

Report Reply

Reply by Salem

posted

The Troop by Nick Cutter is a good body horror book. It's about a group of boyscouts who get infected with a disease while they're stranded on an island.

Report Reply

Reply by Maggot Monarch

posted

Jonathan Sims released two books so far and they‘ve both been absolute bangers, I also liked Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay a lot

Report Reply

Reply by sem

posted

House of Leaves and Misery are really good! I've heard stuff by Aron Beauregard is good but you definitely need to tread carefully. His stuff is very extreme and made to disturb so if you're not into it or think it may effect u negatively do not read them.

Report Reply

Reply by Clara

posted

lord of the flies

Report Reply

Reply by Creature

posted

As someone who's also starting to read horror I think Stephen Graham Jones is a great choice. I'm reading the first of a trilogy of his My Heart is a Chainsaw and I think so far it's really good. A popular book of his is The Only Good Indians!

Report Reply

Reply by JoanneMorales

posted

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson

"Bird Box" by Josh Malerman

"The Shining" by Stephen King

Report Reply

Reply by JoanneMorales

posted

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson