« Helping each other Forum

Do I have an eating disorder?

For about 4 years now I have had little to no appetite most of the time. I’m just not hungry. I have diagnoses for anxiety and depression which I know can change your eating habits but I am never hungry. I lost a lot of weight. I have always been small but I am currently 85 lbs as a 15 y/o AFAB person. Sometimes I’m just not hungry and sometimes food just straight up grosses me out. Like just the thought of eating. I end up starving myself almost every day with no intention of doing so. I get shaky and weak but I still don’t feel hungry. All my doctors tell me I need yo gain weight and I agree. I eat high calorie foods but I don’t eat often. My mom suspects I have an eating disorder. She knows I don’t do it on purpose. I’m going to see my doctor but in the mean time I’m left wondering, is it possible to have an eating disorder without purposefully trying not to eat/trying to be skinny or without having body dysmorphia? 

(Sorry this is lengthy and has a ton of grammar errors btw)

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by august

posted

there are different kinds of eating disorders and not all of them are related to body image so i think you can have one unintentionally (there was this one video i watched about someone who had an eating disorder related to only eating very specific foods out of anxiety), but i don't know you personaly and i am in no way a doctor so i can't really offer any advice but i hope what i did have to say helped. good luck figuring this out!!

Report Reply

Reply by Jada

posted

First of all, it's totally okay to feel confused and unsure about what's going on with your appetite. It's really common for anxiety and depression to affect eating habits, and it sounds like you're doing your best to take care of yourself. It's great that you're seeing a doctor - they'll be able to give you more information and help you figure out what's going on.

To answer your question, it's definitely possible to have an eating disorder without purposefully trying to not eat or trying to be skinny. Eating disorders can come in all shapes and sizes, and they don't always involve body dysmorphia. Some people with eating disorders struggle with binge eating or purging behaviors, while others may restrict their food intake without consciously trying to lose weight. 

Regardless of whether or not you have an eating disorder, it's important to prioritize your health and well-being. That might mean working with a doctor or therapist to address your anxiety and depression, and finding ways to incorporate more high-calorie foods into your diet even if you don't feel hungry. It can also be helpful to try and identify any triggers or patterns that make it harder for you to eat, so you can develop strategies to work around them. 

Report Reply