« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

Neocities alternatives

I really want to make a website, but Neocities has been giving me a headache. It doesn't allow me to change background images (as far as I'm aware it's a site problem, I'm doing the html correctly) and generally it's pretty laggy and unresponsive. I need to delete my cache every five minutes so it works and it stresses me a lot. Does anyone know other options?

It doesn't have to be aesthetically retro or anything as long as it gives me freedom to just build my site. I just want to have a space to share my art and content with my friends.

Report Topic

11 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Axel <3

posted

Eh, i don't know, you could use wix but wix is extremly ugly, or wordpress but it requires coding (idk if im wrong) so YEAH just hope that someone else knows something because it would be useful!

Report Reply

Reply by Virtual Insanity

posted

If the problem is your free hosting is laggy and unresponsive you might want to consider paid hosting of some sort.  I'm sure all these free hosting services will be trying to pack as much stuff into each server as they possibly can so it wouldn't surprise me if they were quite unresponsive.  Maybe it would be possible to find a free service which is a little better, but then maybe it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens over there, then you're faced with the hassle of moving again.

Regarding Wordpress, I can't say I've used it, but from what I understand it started out ok but these days it's trying to do everything and not doing a good job.  There's a world of plug-ins for it and people find that this works with that, but that needs this version of this other thing, having this other thing breaks that and so on.

If you're looking for something to make posting content easy you might want to look into Ghost.  If you're writing your own HTML and enjoying doing that, well done, maybe just keep doing that (but on better hosting).

Report Reply

Reply by Virtual Insanity

posted
updated

"Unlike many other web hosts, we don't skimp on infrastructure. Neocities
operates our own caching CDN in 11 datacenters all over the world to
quickly serve your site. We also force 100% strong SSL on all sites, and
have full support for HTTP/2. Because of our commitment to quality, we
routinely out-perform the pricey cloud services on reliability, speed
and uptime. Whether it’s your personal home page or a busy professional
site, your site loads fast."

I wonder, are you making changes to your website on Neocites then refreshing your browser hoping to see the changes to your site?  Then making more changes and repeating?

If so it might be better to do that on a local computer at home.  Once you're happy you've made a solid version of something upload it to Neocities.

Report Reply

Reply by EngiQu33ring

posted

While NeoCities does have issues, this sounds like it might be more of a CSS issue than a NeoCities issue. As long as you've uploaded the image and linked it properly in the CSS, it should be fine. Background image downloads happen on the browser end, not the server end.

Can you share your site's URL along with the background image you want to use? I can take a look and see if there's anything I can do to help.

Report Reply

Reply by Jason Anderson

posted
updated

Reply by lime360

posted

i recommend github pages, in difference from neocities you can use the supporter plan features for free

Report Reply

Reply by jojo

posted

neocities is ok but i graduated from it to host on my vps. also, the last time i checked you can get an .tk domain for free

Report Reply

Reply by lime360

posted

i also recommend ichi.city, it looks nostalgic

Report Reply

Reply by ⭐joyfulstarr⭐

posted

Try mmm.page

Report Reply

Reply by lime360

posted

mmm.page is a site builder and not a site hosting

Report Reply

Reply by lime360

posted

there is also nekoweb.org, it's kinda like neocities but the paid plan also offers git support and no file restrictions

Report Reply