« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

The old internet didn't drive people to KTS (heavy topic)

Posted by Jin

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

This will be my first forum topic here but I wanted to talk about social that drive people to KTS. the toxicity on platforms, specially the new ones.Β 

four-chan will be the oldest I recall who got in a spotlight all the times for driving LBGQ+ off the face of the planet its terrible. Instagram also has this issue, with EDs, SH, etc. Its absolutely disgusting and i can't take it anymore. when where there be things saying that stuff like this is murder, when will doxing become legal, this is treats to someone so when will someone take it seriously ????? some people are taking actions so make sure to sign stuff!!! your name counts in stuff like this.

I know this is probably" not related to the reclaiming of the internet" but i thougth i should bring it up

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Jin

posted

That is true, most of thoses spaces are hard to find, aleast the legit ones, ill try looking into that. Most platforms are meant to push this image to you that everyone else life's are prefect and yours isn't, I just hate that.Β 

Report Reply

Reply by XxemokatttxX

posted

lolcow is a prime example of this, i wish people weren't so cruel

Report Reply

Reply by MonkeyMan

posted

Personally I believe the old internet just didn't record all of the cases when it did happen

Report Reply

Reply by Axel <3

posted

Internet is messed up :/ people are very cruel for no reason and i don't want to live like that

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕯𝕬𝕹𝕿𝕰

posted

exactly, so much of hate is promoted on modern websites, especially tiktok. i may be a hypocrite saying this because i use tiktok myself but if you go on there, sometimes all u see is hate agnst the lgbtqia+ community. its not evn that hard to find. sm people promote suicide, sh, ed, etc. sometimes all im on tiktok for is to defend people being hated on for being trans or gay. this kind of hate drives people to want to end their lives.

Report Reply

Reply by Melted Mallow

posted

I think it's a multi-faceted issue.

Today's platforms are less about engaging and more about driving traffic. That puts users into this weird position where we're expected to act as content creators who have to care about audience metrics, just to suit the very human need of social interaction. In our daily lives, we tend to be isolated to an extent, so the internet is a natural place to turn to for some kind of interaction.

And that used to work okay when social media was more about building a community and winning the majority of users. A platform dies without users who will authentically use the product.

Nowadays, though, with people acting as content creators, we have to fit into an algorithm-friendly niche, which is going to involve a lot of fudging the truth, pretending, and playing a character. Add in TikTok's known issue of having accounts that are quite literally actors playing a character that's a TikTok user in some weird marketing meta-narrative, and it's sort of a reality warping mess.

But it's a weird dynamic, because we're either content creators who are looking to get picked up by the algorithm and see our friends again oooor we're completely passive scrollers who expect relevant content to get downloaded to our skulls. No thinking about it and starting a conversation, just mindless consumption.

And if the algorithm pushes a certain topic, it's going to feed into our recency biases; the sheer repetition is going to make it seem bigger or more common than it is. Not that hate doesn't exist or isn't prevalent, but.... like, if people disconnect from TikTok, Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr for 30 days, they tend to find themselves in a less reactive place, and I think that speaks to the effect these things have on people.

Report Reply