« Life Forum

Do i have bpd?

Posted by v☆nished

posted

Forum: Life

I have been searching about bpd for a long time and i realized i have some of the symptoms such as: 

I often feel “empty.”

My emotions shift very quickly, and I often experience extreme sadness, anger, and anxiety.

I'm constantly afraid that the people I care about will abandon me or leave me. (Not like this but i constantly worry that they hate me)

The way I feel about the people in my life can dramatically change from one moment to the next—and I don't always understand why.

I drink often but idk if you can call it binge drinking. Alcohol is really expensive so i can only drink 1-2 times a week but there WERE times that i spend all my money to alcohol 

I've attempted to hurt myself, engaged in self-harm behaviors such as cutting(not that extreme), or threatened suicide.

Unclear and shifting self image 

I have lots of friends, they love me and i have so much fun with them but i just feel like everyone loves me but no one likes me and my loneliness is full of people.

I experience shifting self image a lot. I know i am a teenager so im still trying to figure out who i am but this thing is different i am first at my and have pretty decent notes but if one of my classmates ask me a question and i cant solve it i immediately think that i suck, im a failure  they are gonna pass me and i will fail

I hated alcohol as a kid but one day i was feeling so empty i decided to try it and i loved it. I hate that i love it. Because in the past i trashed it and told people i would never do it. But now people see me as a drunk (im not) and im embarrassed…

I really dont want to self diagnose so i try to ignore it and telling myself im making it up. I would love to see a psychologist but my parents wouldnt let me.

So I wanted to ask you guys

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by jaggedhinder

posted

The mental health professional may ask the person to complete some assessment measures to aid in the diagnosis.

tunnel rush

Report Reply

Reply by arlo atomickk

posted

Listen, I'm not a psychologist by any means but it's quite hard to attempt to place a diagnosis on someone with such little information.

In fact, these symptoms actually overlap with a lot of other disorders such as depression and maybe anxiety. (self harm, suicidal ideation, unclear and shifting self image etc.)

A few of the main symptoms of BPD (as far as I know) are an extreme sensitivity to rejection, especially from those you deem important. These important people can be known as your 'favourite person' and you can get extremely fixated on them to the point that, if they go an hour without replying to you, you gain extreme anxiety and fear of abandonment. Those with BPD can have very little impulse control as well.

Having mood swings isn't enough to diagnose someone with bpd as these can be due to a plethora of reasons including hormone changes. It may be that something in your environment is causing the changes (a perceived injustice, loneliness etc.). Also these symptoms overlap with many other disorders such as bipolar disorder.

Still feeling lonely amidst friends can be indicative that you are either not fully comfortable with these people, or not fully comfortable with yourself - feeling depressed can be an extremely isolating experience so it is understandable. However, remember that you truly aren't alone, 10% of people worldwide would be classed as clinically depressed at some point in their lives!

Using alcohol as a coping mechanism is also a very common thing, albeit not good and not the right solution. Try searching for better coping mechanisms like drawing, listening to music, even punching a pillow. 

I don't know the ins and outs of your life, so I cant try to diagnose you with anything. As soon as you can see a doctor, though, I think you certainly should. Even try to reach out to one online (there's therapy apps out there), or even try reddit! (although this isn't always reliable).

I wish you the best.

Report Reply

Reply by Jittery

posted

You're a teenager. These are all common traits of depressed/distressed teens and people under the age of 18 very rarely get diagnosed with personality disorders. My advice is to analyze the "why" behind your coping mechanisms and try to deal with it as best as you can before trying to label yourself as someone with bpd. 

Report Reply

Reply by Jittery

posted

You're a teenager. These are all common traits of depressed/distressed teens and people under the age of 18 very rarely get diagnosed with personality disorders. My advice is to analyze the "why" behind your coping mechanisms and try to deal with it as best as you can before trying to label yourself as someone with bpd. 

Report Reply

Reply by Jae3000

posted

I was diagnosed with BPD early last year. The truth is the only person who can confirm it for you is a doctor. I have found in the end that getting diagnosed really doesn’t mean all that much when you feel like something is really wrong. I’d recommend looking for other people talking about their experiences and seeing how you relate to them. I use reddit for that kind of stuff and hey! Even if it’s not BPD in the end it’s always great to educate yourself! Hope this helps a little :)

Report Reply

Reply by e.j. ღ

posted

I know it hurts to hear that diagnoses are the only way to know for sure, but it's true. Not only because a health professional can see signs that you may not, but also because BPD has many crossing symptoms with many other disorders like bipolar disorder and NPD.

When I was hospitalized, I raised my concern about possibly having BPD with my psychologist and right then and there he did an assessment with me. He explained that, although he did believe I had BPD, he was concerned that it may instead have been bipolar disorder.

Another thing is that, depending on which it is, medication and therapy routes drastically change. That is why a professional diagnosis is so important. It's not just a label you acquire. It's a lifetime of medication and therapy to help with it as well... rather than just a label on paper.

Report Reply

Reply by Hatch

posted

At your age it could be or it could not be. Being a teenager does just feel like that sometimes, but personality disorders DEVELOP at that age too.

Keep in mind, you could have any of the other three cluster b personality disorders. BPD symptoms are also highly similar to c-ptsd and autism.

If you do your research into the disorder, really read up what people who experience it say what it feels like, and you research the highly comorbid disorders too, you can say whatever you want about it honestly. I self diagnosed myself with bpd at your age and it helped me find community and coping mechanisms (healthy or not) for my issues. I feel I have npd now, with high amounts of other cluster traits, but theres really no harm in being wrong in this. Its not like youre signing a contract.

Look at the DSM checklists on Shit Borderlines Do on tumblr, not just for this.

And in the end, whether or not you think you have a disorder, you're always allowed to look up coping mechanisms and help directed towards the disorder if you have similar issues! Just because someone doesnt have OCD doesnt mean they arent welcome to use resources to lessen bad intrusive thoughts!

Report Reply