« General Forum

Autism Awareness Month what you wanna make people aware of

Posted by Gray

posted

Forum: General

Anything you wish more people knew? Or I guess made aware of? Well here you can say ANYTHING you want and I ENCOURAGE you to speak up anything negative! It's tiring to hear we're valid for the millionth time.

Okay I'll start

I think people should be more aware that it's not unusual for us to be jerks and to act like bratty little kids. I wish people would speak up more and tell us what we do wrong. You want us to live a normal functional life like you always say we're capable of? How about telling a kid why their behavior is wrong instead of patting them on the head saying "You're autistic you can't help it"

I felt like I had a huge mental list but I am half asleep right now maybe I'll add more later

Report Topic

5 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Trixie

posted
updated

that saying the r word if you're not autistic is bad. i live in alabama and it's surprisingly possible to find people that aren't racist/homphobic/etc but this usually kills it :(

Report Reply

Reply by Gray

posted

Huh that's actually another thing I thought about. If I tell people I'm retarded they argue with me that no one us abd that's a horrible thing to say. But here's the thing, people still react this way if I use terms like slow learner, learning disability, mentally challenged, etc. They even argue those doctors should of been fired for telling me I have a learning disability.

It's disgusting, they invalidate my illness because they care more about no one saying mean words. It's at the point people flat out refuse to believe it's a disability. For that reason alone I encourage people to say retarded if it's going to annoy people who argue learning disabilities don't exist.

It feels like we're living in a time where it's considered offensive to acknowledge disabilities are, you know, a disability.

Report Reply

Reply by twiggy

posted

One thing that tires me is its the New R word people are using it the same way nows a days

Also repect my senory issues??? Stop taking me out to eat. Stop taking me to loud places that overwelm me.

Also stop calling me selfish I take about myself to better relate to you not because I'm some selfish person. And yes I ask a lot of questions stop getting mad i'm trying to socialize!!

And stop calling me lazy I have excusive dyfunction, Its common for us people with autism to be so overwelmed with basic tasks we do nothing.

Amoung other things i can't think of its tiring really

Report Reply

Reply by Ren

posted

1.) that intersectionality still happens with autism!!! that black and other POC are less likely to get a diagnosis than any gender of a white person due to doctor gaslighting + doctors not believing individuals. - im not a POC however it is always important for people to recognise this!!

2.) autistic girls in the UK are 3 times less likely to get diagnosed than boys! im from the UK, and I was not believed by my school, they didnt sign the papers for 2 years for me to get a diagnosis, I was seen as a troublesome child in primary and secondary school for my 'constant crying' when really it was just overstimulation. so please recognise gender plays a massive part in autism and the diagnostic system - boys/males are always favoured. 

3.) many autistics dislike the use of functioning labels, due to the treatment many of those get e.g. those with low support needs, then have their disability completely ignored + leads to later problems e.g. PTSD and heavy stress issues. 

4.) DO NOT USE 'PAINT IT BLUE' OR ANYTHING FROM AUTISM SPEAKS, OR CHARITIES THAT PROMOTE THE USAGE OF PUZZLE PIECES, FAVOUR BOYS OR PROMOTE ABA THERAPY!. 

5.) autistics are not stupid or idiots THIS ESPECIALLY GOES to those who think non speaking = non thinking. Those who are non-verbal or semi-verbal ARE ALWAYS THINKING, and know their surroundings. 

6.) autistics are/can be sympathetic and empathetic. Sometimes we are over-empathetic or sympathetic. please ignore propaganda that says otherwise.

Report Reply

Reply by euroguts

posted

i will make people aware of me. this is not a choice.

Report Reply