« Back to the OC Havers Forum

Discussion Question - Worldbuilding : What story of yours has the most interesting setting?

Posted by lucas ♓

posted

Forum: OC Havers Group

I'm going to keep making these forums until I'm ballsy enough to actually start uploading actual artwork and content of my own lol

Hopefully this isn't seen as spam,,

I appreciated seeing everyone's replies from my last post! I'm actually really impressed by how many of you are in the process of developing for your stories into media! That's one of those things I have yet to follow through on, but I am hoping to eventually stick to a concept long enough to develop it to that point. 

Worldbuilding is one of my favorite aspects about making a story, so naturally I want to hear from you all about your process. Is there any particular source that you've taken inspiration from? Do you have a magic system that you're proud of developing? A bunch of lore that you've written prior to the existence of the main characters?

What do you find to be the most fascinating part of it all?

[TLDR : Rant about the world that you've made, I'm very interested in hearing all about it!]

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by Shoka

posted

Worldbuilding can be really interesting, but it can also get quite complicated when you have to ensure that everything adds up and fits into the overall lore. There were quite a few things that I had to scrap, but my favorite idea was the "Tree of Restoration" that was meant to be falling throughout the entire story, until it finally landed on earth and began sucking the energy out of it. Originally, there were supposed to be grass and rock characters that took over the world, but it just didn't fit into the larger narrative.

The most significant inspiration for this world came from Final Fantasy and Chainsaw Man, particularly in terms of the powers and the strange enemies and races. For example, there are two races I created based on real history, the Roanokes and the Croatoans. They have been at war since 1587, and their conflict is rooted in two evil gods named Zarloff and Machina, who were angry with the colonizers and used the two races as pawns in their own war.

The Roanokes have the power of nanomachines and technology, and are generally viewed as the villains of the story. On the other hand, the Croatoans are shapeshifting skeleton people who use the power of flames to fight. In addition, there is a magic system in the story that is based on Tarot Cards, using the elementals associated with each card to fight. It serves as a balancing system of power for those who are not born with powers. However, the entire power system is based on motivation, meaning that even the weakest person with the most motivation could potentially defeat a god.

Finally, there are the "Aradilla," who are half armadillo, half human, cowboy people. They are struggling to fit into the story, and I am still working on finding a way to make them fit seamlessly.

Report Reply