« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

what’s everyone’s opinion on Discord?

for me it feels like lately it’s been a money sucking website, where the app itself manipulate users into buying their Nitro subscription. don’t even get me started on the fake accounts, bots, malware, and the dumb egirl/eboys (look up egirl on Google if ur confused)

Report Topic

12 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by vesper

posted

I feel like it depends on what kind of servers u join. it can be rlly fun as long as u find ur ppl like all corners of the internet.

Report Reply

Reply by lofn

posted

It really didn't click with me for some reason and I'm not even old yet

Report Reply

Reply by ‎♡‧₊˚amaim

posted

it's not bad i guess. it's just a messaging site and i used to enjoy being able to join different servers and stuff but then i started encountering a lot of creepy/horny people land it was just really off-putting. i don't really go on there to meet new people anymore, just use it to talk to friends.

Report Reply

Reply by jojo

posted

i've used discord some but i've not found anything there that interest me.

Report Reply

Reply by vix

posted
updated

im only on like 3 servers, i use it to mostly talk to my friends. i think its scummy how you have to pay for simple customization and sending larger files along with the poor security. every other month its some new thing about how theres 5 new people tricking people into giving their accounts to the person or just being able to access everyones accounts without having to talk to the person

Report Reply

Reply by Jetru

posted

all the big public servers suck and are solely focused on money and partnerships, im only in a few servers that are comprised of about 20 people, other than that i only use it to talk to my friends from school. also discord moderation isnt a real job.

Report Reply

Reply by Lynx!

posted

I'd like it a lot more if it didn't want your money so bad also it seems to be a bit of a weirdo magnet but tbf what major social site isn't

Report Reply

Reply by Neo

posted

Discord has proven to be a deadend for me post-2016. I think what ultimately hurt it aside from its ever growing user base was rebranding in such a way that it lost many associations with gaming culture. Perhaps the "safe" corporate ambiguity is a net positive when it comes to introducing others who would otherwise feel averse, but what it created was an influx of non subculture specific servers. Maybe there's a bit of bias on my end and I've simply been disillusioned as I've grown, but I remember encountering servers that were more actively engaging in terms of their content focus, and now it seems more commonplace to find apathetic shitposting and ghost towns of inactivity.

Report Reply

Reply by Cody!! ^_^

posted

I use it mostly for playing online games with my friends crossplatform but im not a fan of those massive servers that have a ton of egirls begging for money and nitro 

Report Reply

Reply by stxr_gxrl

posted

its okay, but its not the most easy to figure out when you're new to it. i feel like its only good if you have a very specific interest (but not too neiche otherwise there are no servers for it). it just feels like a modernised version of chat rooms and forums really. i know a fair few people who've made online friends through discord, but personally that's something ive struggled with just because the amount of creeps, bots, and the fact that i live in a non uk or us timezone. you never really  activley taking part in any group discussions, only read the 10000000 messages when you wake up the next day.

TL;DR

• need a very specific interest
  • too many bots and creeps
  • hard when you dont live in a uk/us timezone

Report Reply

Reply by ENGELBRUCH

posted

Discord is fun if you use it as a way to play games with your irl/online friends that you had beforehand, but getting to know people in Discord is awfully difficult. The privacy policy sucks but the games/bots are fun and it's fairly simple to use, I've had really fun times there. With that being said I hate massive servers with lots of people and think it'd be better off as just a simpler chatroom or a means to create groupchats with your friends. It got me through lockdown, but I don't use it anymore and I still prefer using Skype or online chatrooms tbh :P.

Report Reply

Reply by misty_day

posted

Idk i never learned to use it, but it's more like a plataform for the new teens, like the youngest gen z

Report Reply