« Writing and Poetry Forum

Writting tips

Does anyone have any writting tips? For whej you have to for example write but you are expiriencing writters block or just need more creative ideas

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by trenchfry

posted

If you're referring to fiction writing, I have a tip!

Before I start a project (though this can be done anytime during the process), I make two lists. 

The first is a list of things I like to read about. For example, I wrote 'themes involving trust', 'comedic foreshadowing', 'the narrator inserting their unneeded opinion on the situation', etc. It can be as detailed as you want it to be, and it also helps to make references to books where those things actually happen so you can always take inspiration from those other stories.

I also make a list of things I hate and want to avoid putting in my story. In my case, 'the chosen one trope', 'siblings that always get along', or 'characters that just know everything with no explanation as to why (everyone should pool their knowledge according to their experiences or line of work)'.

If I ever find myself hitting a wall in my writing, I refer to the second list first and make sure that I didn't write anything in that list. A lot of the time, the problem is that I've written something in that list by accident. When I take that element out of the story, it opens up the possibility of something else. And that's when the first list comes in. I can then insert something from there, which makes writing much more enjoyable.

Another thing I do during writer's block is reading the kind of stories that I aspire to write. Stuff with similar elements to what I'm writing (which is why it's useful to reference books in the first list!). It just gives a refreshing boost, especially when it comes to vocabulary and writer's voice. 

Report Reply