« Back to the TAROT READERS & ENTHUSIASTS Forum

ALEISTER CROWLEY'S THOTH TAROT:

Posted by Autritus

posted
updated

Forum: TAROT READERS & ENTHUSIASTS Group

Written by: Autritus

The British Occultist Edward Alexander Crowley, also known as "Aleister Crowley" was a left-hand path Occultist from Britain, known for his crazy and bizarre Pagan ideologies, one of the greatest contributions he ever made in Occultism history was the creation of his Thoth Tarot deck, first created on March 21st, 1944, the ideas were from Aleister as the paintings for his cards were made by artist Lady Frieda Harris, under strict supervision together their teamwork invented one of the most well known and traditionally challenging Tarot decks in history!

Inspired heavily by Aleister's own religious beliefs Thelema, he created a deck that not only challenged the traditional meanings of the Tarot but also reinvented them in his unique style, a few distinctive differences are the Pentacles in the Thoth Tarot are called "Discs", and the names for major and minor Arcana were drastically changed, here is the full list comparing traditional The Order of the Golden Dawn Tarot labeling and Aleister's:

[Waite-Rider] - [Thoth]

The Fool - The Fool

The Magician - The Magus

The High Priestess - The Priestess

The Empress - The Empress

The Emperor - The Emperor 

The Hierophant - The Hierophant 

The Lovers - The Lovers

The Chariot - The Chariot 

Strength - Lust

The Hermit - The Hermit 

Wheel of Fortune - Fortune

Justice - Adjustment

The Hanged Man - The Hanged Man

Death - Death

Temperance - Art

The Devil - The Devil 

The Tower - The Tower

The Star - The Star

The Moon -The Moon

The Sun - The Sun

Judgment - The Æon

The World - The Universe

(SIDE NOTES: Despite cards like Adjustment being equivalents to Traditional cards like Justice, their number placements are different in their respective decks, Justice is the 11th Major Arcana card in most traditional Tarot decks, as Adjustment is the 13th Major Arcana card in the Thoth Tarot deck, and while there is only one Magician in the Major Arcana, in the Thoth Tarot there is THREE Magicians in the Major Arcana, called the Magus Cards.)

As for Minor Arcana, only the Major Suits' names were changed, the only suit that had their name changed entirely was the Pentacles as previously mentioned, here is the list of comparisons between traditional Tarot Major Arcana suits and the Thoth Tarot Major Arcana suits:

King - Knight 

Queen - Queen

Knight - Princess

Page - Prince

(Also, every Minor Suit card had its name beside the Ace cards)

These differences are not only distinct but are very unique and interesting, Aleister was a master of his craft and the Thoth Tarot is a brilliant example of his Occultist craftsmanship!

So if there is anything you should take from this, it should be to not follow or copy what everyone else is doing but to do your own thing and follow your path to what you want to achieve, especially in the art of Occultism.

[Pictures of Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot]

Original Thoth Tarot Paint

Thoth Tarot Card Examples

Modern Thoth Tarot deck cover

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Tomas90

posted

I have always studied this phenomenon myself when people work with Tarot cards. But I never knew the origin story of this activity. Indeed, it is necessary to be just a wise man to come up with card data.

Report Reply

Reply by JessicaLaw

posted

I've been very interested in Thoreau cards lately. Their history is fascinating in itself. I would like to learn the technique of divination on these cards, if it is possible, of course. Because I don't have psychic abilities. Or at least I would like to communicate on this topic with an experienced Thoreauologist. 

Report Reply

Reply by Yany

posted

There is evidence that the Tarot appeared in the 1700s. And in the last century, Tarot cards have improved. And undoubtedly to this day, the Tarot helps many people to accurately determine their fate. And you can use Tarot cards online on this tarot websites if you want to look into the future of your destiny or solve your life problem.

Report Reply

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

I had this deck for a while but didn't connect with it, gave it to a friend and she loved it.

Report Reply