« Writing and Poetry Forum

poetry tips?

anyone have poetry tips on writing style? comment if u do pls!! 

thx

icarus

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Kiako

posted

definitely not a professional, nowhere near that level but over the years I learnt some stuff so here are my tips

• Repetition (I use it pretty often to emphasize points or come to a full circle from beggining to end)
  • Try yourself out in different forms, themes and subgenres within poetry (For example if you do love poetry you could try yourself out in writing about nature or something similar, or another example, if you do, let's say poems with like 12 stanzas you could try writing a sonnet to get out of your comfort zone
  • Study different poets (I feel like this is very obvious but just wanted to mention it)
  • Be mysterious/write your poems less literally (It can be very great to read poetry about someone else's experience but if you only write anecdotes in poetry form, first of all, you will run out of stories after a while, and second of all, if you write less literally and leave it more up to interpretation people will be able to resonate with it more)
  • Try ít least once in your lifetime writing an 'incoherent' poem without any specific meaning (not literally incoherent, because especially in the world of poetry we always manage to make some sense out of everything, but to give a *very random example* something like: 'the sky was filled with blood, the leaves moved in a steady echoey rythm' just whatever, let your mind wander)

Report Reply

Reply by .woeoficarus.

posted