« Travel and Places Forum

➥ Solo Travellers General

Hello all! Apologies if a thread like this already exists, but I'd like this forum post to be a congregation of solo travellers- where we answer questions, give advice, share experiences and just generally discuss solo travel as a whole! All perspectives welcome.

connect with more solo travellers on reddit -> r/solotravel

Some questions to kick off this thread:

- What's your most memorable solo travel experience? (positive or negative)

- Your thoughts on hostels? Have you ever stayed in one?

- List all the countries you've visited solo!

- Any tavel plans or goals for the current year?

- Share some tips that helped you on your travels!

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by deadmau5

posted

well, what better way to kick off this thread than with my own answers to my own questions? ;)

Q: What's your most memorable solo travel experience? (positive or negative)

A: id defo say travelling coast to coast (los angeles -> boston) alone at 18. legit the most liberating feeling in the whole world. it wasnt even very difficult, but people seem to make a big deal out of it when i tell them haha. id say the most memorable/funniest thing that happened was when i was in california- i was staying near santa monica beach, but i wanted to see downtown cuz... its fuckin downtown LMAO you kinda have to. so i took the metro down there. and let me tell you, i didnt even leave the fucking BLOCK i was so scared. i turned around and got my ass right back on that metro and went home lmaoooooo. needless to say i was not ready for the attack on all 5 human senses that downtown la is.

Q: Your thoughts on hostels? Have you ever stayed in one?

A: i have! both of the ones ive been to have been pretty chill, one was an all female one and the other was a mixed one (here in the uk actually). people just kinda minded their buissness and would only talk to you to ask if they could use the bathroom or unzip their suitcase/make noise/ whatever. i know some people would be pissy about that, but i honestly preffered not being probed with questions by randoms. so yeah, i guess in my experience, hostels are chill. ill still always be a motel girlie at heart tho.

Q: List all the countries you've visited solo!

A: USA, ireland, united kingdom, greece, italy, albania, the netherlands and spain.

Q: Any tavel plans or goals for the current year?

A: welp im heading back to greece late feb, taking a longer route this time including a looooong ass bus journey and a ferry over to an island cause their runway is undergoing repairs rn. june  is either gonna be scotland or wales, and also back to manchester for parklife festival. and sometime in december im heading to dubai, which im very very excited for cuz visiting asia is always a treat. 

Q: Share some tips that helped you on your travels!

A: honestly, im kind of a traditional girl, so having physical copies of everything- maps, boarding cards ect is always really important to me. i also physically draw out my route for travelling to and from airports or key locations back to my accom, noting what form of transport ill be using and always having plan b's and c's. also something /really/ important that came in handy is researching the logistics of public transport of wherever you're travelling to instead of constantly relying on uber/lyft/taxi. you can save literally hundreds of dollars by using buses or trams instead- just make sure youre 100% correct about which one you're supposed to be getting!

Report Reply